Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka Science Users

Abeka Science Users

I was planning on putting my dc together in Science this school year, but my dd, age 11, has really expressed great interest in being able to work alone in science. She is a very good and faster reader, but she does not enjoying writing a lot. I have been looking at A Beka science as an option, but was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is right on track as far as grade levels go or is it advanced? I can't find much in the way of samples.

Thanks for any additional information!

re: Abeka Science Users

I have been looking at A Beka science as an option, but was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is right on track as far as grade levels go or is it advanced?
-------

IMO, it is right on track re average grade levels. We used some on elementary level (LOVED the 4th grade book) and on the middle school level. Very colorful and very interesting.

Thank you for responding so quickly, gr8fl! Did you use any of the science lab kits from HomeschoolScience? Or were the items needed pretty easy to find/buy locally?

Thanks again!

I agree with Gr8ful.

Re: science kits and items for labs, what I did was to buy my texts first, read through the lessons, and decide what we were going to do ourselves versus what we'd watch in a lab video (find online), and then Ipurchased. I did buy from them, but I didn't order the complete kits. I also ordered from Rainbow Research and another science supplies company.

Answers in Genesis is made for combining.

I would say that the actual content is perfect for grade level. I love the colorful pictures and charts and illustrations. The quizzes are what one would expect. However the TEST are extremely challenging especially for an independent learner! The tests are made to be administered in a challenging private school setting where teachers have carefully prepped, studied, taught and reviewed the material both in class and through homework. An Independent learner would not have the capability of going that detailed and in-depth.

So, we just used the quizzes.

I like Abeka Science a LOT but, FWIW my kids retained more and did much better with Jeannie Fulbright's Apologia for Young Expoleres series. My daughter used the books independently by choosing what she wanted from the Notebooking Assignments Amanda then getting as creative as she wanted with them. They too are lovely colorful books but I just found the approach more nAtural.

We used Abeka science for years and loved it.
Our children retained a lot from the texts and have
a love for science. The tests are very detailed and the quizzes are
more basic. We allowed open book tests with a time limit.
For quizzes, it was closed book and that worked fine.

For labs, we did some of the suggestions from the teacher's edition, got our own kits, and for high school we got the DVD teaching that included all labs demonstrated for our kids.

Overall, we have been pleased with Abeka science.
Michelle32

I used Abeka Science 4th last year with my 4th and 2nd grader. I read it aloud to them. We discussed end of chapter questions and reviews together. We wrote, drew, etc in our notebooks everyday . They love the colorful pictures, notebooking, and they learned alot from it.

I'm using the 5th grade book in the same way for 5th and 3rd this year.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions