Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Writing or perhaps I should title this do we really need so much writing? ;)

Writing or perhaps I should title this do we really need so much writing? ;)

I think I may have asked this before, if so, sorry, I am a slow learner.

I would like a nice writing program, simple, concise yet thorough.

I have students of all ages, I have been teaching writing in life, but want to add a little more structure.

Or is thorough really overkill. I mean when I think on the discussions on algebra and grammar, I am in some ways very fond of not doing writing formally but only doing it as it occurs to us so they have written journals and made up stories and have learned how to write letters and thank you notes in proper form.

If writing isn't our life do have them just do a few other things like book reports, biography current events, persuasive writing, opinion writing and some research?

I think as I look at the books that I already have they intend to just practice for practice sake and try to come up with clever scenarios that are meant to get the students interest and also get the creative juices flowing. As I think back to my own schooling I can recall writing a few papers in 7th or 8th grade, and then I had a solid college writing course in High School that tackled college level writing, and then in college I wrote.

Hmmm I feel like I am talking myself out of a writing course and am wondering what is really essential.

If you have hung on this long thanks for reading it all!

This post was edited on Jul 17, 2017 02:27 PM

re: Writing or perhaps I should title this do we really need so much writing? ;)

One of the things we homeschoolers forget is that all writing counts as writing. IOW, when your children write their English assignments, it's writing, even if it's grammar stuff. When they write their history assignments, it's writing, even if they're answering answers about who settled Jamestown. When they do their spelling assignments, it's writing, even if they're writing about why plants need sunlight. It is why I recommend that people who do Rod and Staff English have their children write everything on actual paper instead of doing it orally, and why I prefer R&S English over most others.

For specific writing instruction (other than what is in R&S English), I like Writing Strands.

re: Writing or perhaps I should title this do we really need so much writing? ;)

That's awesome thank you!

That is sort of what I thought but then forgot and thought I should overkill writing so that we all hate it here and then it becomes a drudgery.

I think maybe I will just add a few extra things this next year to what we already do naturally. Adding really just to help them begin to write more lengthy things that stay on one theme.

I really appreciate your reminder!

I think lots of writing is important but I don't think kids need much actual writing instruction.

Just like I think kiddos learn proper grammar through being exposed to lots of great language, in context, I feel the same way about writing.

I think so many subjects are pushed at such a young age and then hammered in for years and years and if we would just wait until they are developmentally ready, they could learn the same information in a much shorter time.

I agree too much too soon is often the case for students these days.

I agree that lots of writing is good, I do not shy away from that, but when I look at the writing books they seem quite lame compared to the natural writing my kids have done of the years.

I think you right too that they don't need so much instruction!

Thanks for reminding me.

I think back now to writing they did for fun, and some of their stories just blew me away. (I think they wrote for fun because I never made it a chore and they read good books and began to make up their own stories.) With that said they didn't need instruction.

I don't mind adding some more writing now, but I think I am against the books I have seen so far, I think we will just add where appropriate to round them out.

I was one who never used a formal writing program. We did grammar, copywork, read good books, and then any writing that came up naturally in lessons. I confess this is one area that I "experimented" on my children! I think the ones who have graduated have turned out fine. 2, of the 4, have gone on to community college and both took the Accuplacer test, testing into the highest level English offered.

In comparison, for a while last fall I homeschooled a 15 year old boy , who has only been in ps. When working with him, I asked him about his English classes. He said he hadn't had any grammar since maybe 5th grade, and mainly they just had the students write, write, write. So, I started working with him in R&S 5th grade grammar, he basically knew nothing, and didn't focus on writing. Then I thought, I probably should have him do a little writing. His writing was horrible. (And this boy is very smart!) This was confirmation to me that the way I'd been doing things must be right.

This post was edited on Jul 18, 2017 11:42 AM

Oh that is too bad for the boy....

But thank you for sharing I find that encouraging!

If writing isn't our life do have them just do a few other things like book reports, biography current events, persuasive writing, opinion writing and some research?

---

lizbeth, I'm one of the "Abeka poster girls" here at HSR, lol, with cricket and Minnie, and what you shared above is essentially what Abeka incorporates. My kids and I have always found their writing curriculum to be (like Goldilocks) "just right." ;-) It is fit seamlessly with the rest of the curriculum, and it proceeds at a measured pace, not hurried or rushing. So I'd say, based on what you described above, that it sounds just about right. :-)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions