Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL

Thanks, Ellie!

Have you ever tried to teach a student and wished they'd learn QUICKER? Sigh.

Reading and math are skills, and mastering a skill takes t-i-m-e.

:o)

re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

Thank you, M4J! I looked at your last post the next morning, and it put a smile on my face. :)

One of my English students (age 18 or 19) is a medical student. She wants to learn medical English as well as improve her general English skills. Do you know of any (preferably free) materials, worksheets, or whatever that use medical language, names of doctors, body parts, illnesses, etc, etc and also work on verb tenses and other grammatical topics?

Any help of this kind would be appreciated. I have looked some, but haven't been very successful. Maybe I should ask cbollin, too? :)

This post was edited on Oct 23, 2017 01:01 PM

re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

Any help of this kind would be appreciated. I have looked some, but haven't been very successful. Maybe I should ask cbollin, too? ;)

Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else on this? I don't have any experience with TESOL, CLE (language arts that is... home ec yes but not language arts), and not anything medical teaching in my brain or life experience. (my dh has a phd in chemistry and works in a research hospital but he wouldn't have a clue for anything on this and just b/c he is smart, I'm not. My kids have extensive and severe disabilities in language arts.)

but, I guess I could have some fun and see if google likes me today to find something like medical stuff. If I find something interesting to share, I'll chime back in. sometimes google likes me on stuff and I find things.

ok.. I had a few minutes before lunch. but I'm hungry so this is quick

Thinker,

I had a few quick minutes to see if google likes me or not. I have never used this resource so you will have to use your discernment.

This resource has the first two units for free. Then you can pay a low fee of 15 US dollars (I think it’s US) for one year full access for 1 student and 1 teacher account, or even less for just one student. That’s not bad price if you like it after free stuff.
Link to check it all out
https://www.medicalenglish.com/

On there, check out the section called Activities, https://www.medicalenglish.com/activities
From there are some free access things that may be useful. You can listen to the text being read and all of that. Have fun with that.

I don’t know how well it will work on grammar, etc. But at least with immersion techniques it might work. I don’t know.

Resource number 2 to check out and this does work on grammar according to what I’m seeing.
http://www.englishmed.com/

check out both the center and left side of screen (well, I’m at a desk top instead of mobile so it’s there) pull down menus, etc.

resource number 3 is a pdf booklet
http://medicine.kaums.ac.ir/UploadedFiles/Files/Check_Your_English_Vocabulary_for_Medicine.pdf

I do know anything about those. But google seem to like me today. lunch is screaming for me :)

Thanks, cbollin! You're the exactly the one I was thinking of - the one who can find so many helpful websites/resources!
Thanks! I will look into those! Maybe you're right... maybe it depends on google's mood... Lol. :D

Hope you had an enjoyable lunch!

If you find anything else of interest on this topic, please let me know! Thanks!

This post was edited on Oct 23, 2017 01:03 PM

re: re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

Hi again!

Sounds like I'm to start lessons with another ESL student this week. He's an eighth grader, and is having problems in English. Do you have any ideas where I could find placement tests/diagnostic tests, so I could find out his weak areas?
I'm sure SOMEONE has done this... there's got to be a way to find out what level a student is at, and what his weak areas are.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions