Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL

Start with the parts of speech. That's the foundation.

And get her reading. She will acquire much in a "painless" way through reading.

Thanks for the advice!

I introduced nouns, verbs, adjectives, and pronouns today. Together were wrote a list of nouns, a list of verbs, etc.

It's slow going... I hope it sticks!

Have you heard of the Victory Drill book? We did the first two pages today. 40 words per minute seems to be a good level for her right now.

Yes. :o) The Victory Drill Book is a superb idea!

Hi! I need some advice and encouragement again! :)

I'm teaching the family I mentioned earlier via Skype. The older group is comparatively easy to teach, but the younger ones... AAAAH! How do you teach language to little munchkins??? They can't handle more than 45 minutes at a time, and I don't mind that, because by the time 45 minutes is up, I am about of tired of them as they are of me! But, how can I be effective and really teach them something??? AND, keep their interest up?!

I've been trying to add to their vocabulary... for example, body parts, colors, numbers, rooms in a house and the parts of a house (roof, chimney, windows, etc), musical instruments, and various vehicles (one of the four little ones is a boy!!!). :)

WHAT do I do and HOW???

FYI, I can share my screen via Skype, so if you can think of useful materials I could share with them that way, it would be great. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Are you teaching daily or only once per week or.....?

If they were learning to read for the first time, they'd most commonly be having a lesson every day. And teachers usually have at least two (short) reading sessions for children just beginning to read, in kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade.

So the best (ideal) situation would be that the younger childrens' father (or older and more competently literate) siblings read a little bit with them each day.

As long as they get a little something (and that can be just 5-10 minutes) they'll keep progressing.

If you're only able to meet with them once per week and no one from home can supplement with reading practise, they will still progress -- just more slowly.

If their father seems concerned, you can share these facts with him. (But if he's content, you should definitely be, too.) :)

Immigrant children in America in the 1800's and early 1900's often lived in crowded tenements with moms and grannies or aunties who only spoke the old world language, and those children still learned. However, they were hearing exclusively English while at school; and they were playing (and sometimes working) with English-speaking peers. That's learning via immersion.

As they lack the opportunity for immersion, they need daily practise. If they don't get it, they'll just move along more slowly. (When they get older, they will be able to self-practise between Skype sessions, and thus progress more swiftly.)

I wonder, do they get any exposure to English-speaking TV, movies, internet? That too would help. I included some links one time to English-language books read on Youtube, for example. That would be another supplementary means, as well.

At first we were doing two lessons a week, for both the younger and the older group, but interest has been waning both on the younger group's side and mine... so it has dwindled down to one lesson a week with the younger group. Part of that has also been my schedule. We can probably get back to lessons twice a week, but...

How?

I like your idea about their older siblings reading to them. In their case that would work better than their dad reading to them, as his accent is a lot worse than theirs.

But how do I keep the little ones interested and help them to keep learning?

That's true, it will be helpful if their siblings or dad can read to them. But they also need practise sitting with someone and reading to that other person (who will make gentle, slight corrections as necessary). It's akin to piano practise, if you will. :)

As for keeping them interested.....dear friend, that is not your job, if I'm understanding you correctly. This gentleman contacted you, asking you to teach English. If he cannot keep his children on track, that is not your fault. :o) Don't put yourself under undue pressure. :o)

FTR, CLE's (Christian Light Education) individual booklets are called LightUnits, not Paces. ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) does Paces. I did a double take when I read the OP, lol.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions