Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone use ACE Biology like this?

Anyone use ACE Biology like this?

I'm going through the list of courses my rising 9th and 10th graders will be taking this coming year, and the total time needed each day (according to my estimates) is still too long for dh's liking. I was allowing 60 minutes for ACE Biology, because I figured by the time they watch the DVD and fill out the workbook pages, it might be close to an hour. ACE Geography would regularly take dd at least an hour (won't be using that program again!), so I figured Biology might take a long time each day too.

Would it be crazy to let them watch the ACE videos and just take notes (written narrations, drawings, etc) and call it good? I didn't mention biology in my other thread about last minute uncertainties, but I have to admit, I've been a bit uneasy about it. I even considered selling the whole ACE Biology set and using something completely different. I know it's completely normal for high school science to take an hour a day (I took tons of science in high school and with class time and homework, spent way more than an hour on most days.) BUT, dh is really wanting their schoolwork to take less time. They are learning "real science" working with our animals and garden, plus we are planning on being more consistent with nature walks. We want the enrichment type stuff to happen more this year.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thoughts?
Thanks!

re: Anyone use ACE Biology like this?

I guess I would lean more towards having them do the paces, without watching the DVDs, with the exception of the Labs. Although, I've never used the DVDs, so I'm not sure how much information is included, and how much it adds to the course.

I'm thinking if we aren't going to use the DVDs, we might as well read the Abeka textbook instead of using the ACE paces. But I own the ACE videos (though I'm very tempted to sell them and just have them read abeka instead, which was one of the options I considered a while back).

The ACE videos are pretty much exactly what is in the reading. The reading has a little more info at times, but my ds didn't care for one of the people on the videos so on those he just read the pace. If you just did the reading and the paces I don't think it would take an hour.

I have absolutely no experience with ACE anything. However, if the video content is the same as the book content, I don't see the problem with your kiddos watching the videos and taking lots of notes. This is what many college kids do, attend or watch the lecture, take copious notes and study them to pass whatever test or assignment the professor gives. I've heard so many stories of college kids who never cracked the assigned textbook for a class.

That said, I personally would go with the text as I think it is easier for minds to wander while watching videos. I also think it is so much easier to keep lessons short through using a textbook than it is with videos. I dislike video curriculum because it dictates the length of the lesson and I like to maintain control of that.

That is just the way I like to do it however. Many kids and parents prefer video lessons to book learning. Do what works for you and your kids and have a great year learning biology! :-)

Ok, so right now I'm planning on using the Abeka text instead of ACE. If I'm not going to use ACE to its fullest, then I'd rather use Abeka because I like the book a lot better.

I put my ACE set on ebay to see if it will sell. (I know, I shouldn't have bought all that if I wasn't 100% sure, but I got a great deal on it, and that gave me a chance to really look it over.)

I'm not planning on getting quizzes/tests for Abeka; we can use the in-text questions as narration prompts, plus they can draw diagrams, etc. I think my dd especially will love this plan.

My dd is very awful at anything science, so I did it CM style. I had her read the Paces then choose something to explain to me about with detail and sometimes illustrations. I think she got more out of it, than answering any fill-in the blank. I did not order the DVD's. The labs IMO, were boring enough. ;)

All three of my kids used ACE Biology with the videos. They all figured out that they could fill out the PACEs at the same time as they watched the videos. In fact, doing the PACEs is like taking notes. The course doesn't take anywhere near an hour a day. More like a half hour or less.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions