Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Apologia Flying Creatures - 11yo?

Apologia Flying Creatures - 11yo?

While I'm heavily considering going to Abeka for my ds13, my dd11 says she wants to do Apologia Flying Creatures. I ordered the notebook journal but after looking it over, I know she will not take to it at all. She is not a lapbooking, journaling, craftsy person. So that will be going back. I also know that she will not be interested in doing many of the projects or experiments.

So I'm left asking, what WILL she do for this course? lol I know she can answer the What Do You Remember questions and maybe I can have her make a vocabulary notebook with all the vocab words but is there anything else? I'm thinking we might just make this a semester course and then choose one of the other elementary books to do the next semester.

Just at a loss on how to make this suitable for a capable, but lazy, 11 year old.

I prefer the typography in ABeka books. The layout, the pictures, and the information are perfect for my dc. However, we also did Flying Creatures because dd loves birds.

You could certainly just read it and do the questions or just add it to your reading list in science. They are very interesting and easy to read. You don't have to do any of the experiments unless you really want to.

Since my dd loves birds, she enjoyed those chapters, but had no desire to do the other chapters such as the bugs. How about your dd?
If she feels the same, you could add this book
( http://tinyurl.com/y7olnscc ) and a Bird watching field guide and then set up a bird feeder and have her keep a journal of the birds that she can identify that come to visit. We had a clear plexiglass feeder that suction cupped to the school room window, so we could see them up close and stop and id them when they came to visit.

Or, she can read Flying Creatures and keep a Nature Notebook with sketches and notes. Jenny Phillips has a beautiful pre-made notebook to help get started or she can just make her own.

No, she actually isn't really interested in birds or anything else in the book. She just thinks it would be an easy read without much accountability. She doesn't want to do anything to be honest. She may end up in Abeka too whether she wants it or not. LOL

That's why I was trying to come up with some accountability tasks as this would count as her science course vs just a reading supplement.

We used Apologia Swimming Creatures this past year for my 11/12-year-old 6th grader. We read it together (because she liked doing it that way) 3 days a week. We went through What Do You Remember questions orally, and then I had her make a notebook page about the chapter. She picked out things she thought were interesting and wrote about them and drew sketches, etc. She did the Ocean Box project, too, making sea creatures out of clay for her own "aquarium". We did very few of the experiments. That's all we did for science, and it was enough for my non-sciency girl. I like the previous poster's idea of incorporating nature study by watching and observing birds, too.

My 11yo is going to do the Land Animals one this fall and I plan on having him write one narration a week about an animal he's read about. He's also going to illustrate it because he's artsy, but you could skip that part if your daughter is not.

My dd just did the projects she enjoyed from the Notebooking. She had to answer all the What Do You Remember? questions, and we went through and *chose* two projects (if I recall correctly) each section, so that she really began to take pride in her notebook because it was projects she chose to do (usually related to drawing!)

It turned out pretty neat, and though it wouldn't "look like a year of work" to an outsider, I know she actually learned a lot more from that book than most other Science books or programs!

We tried Abeka this year for her and it was a great book. I like Abeka Science. However, due to its fast-moving pace and my lack of more serious involvement, I really think she retained a LOT less than previous years with the Jeannie Fulbright series. Both kids still talk about bats, from what they learned 5 years ago from Jeannie Fulbright.

This year she will be doing her first Jay Wile book with a serious co-op and the notebooking and class discussion will make the info stick.

I just feel Abeka moves too fast for some kids. I love the layout, beautiful illustrations, font, and manageable physical book size of the Abeka Science but it just hasn't been retained long term.

Thank you all for the ideas. It's hard to deal with someone who is completely disengaged and unreceptive about....everything. She has no interest in this topic or doing anything with it. It's just something she has to do. :-/

Double post

This post was edited on Jun 19, 2017 07:26 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions