Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

DVDs that teach Saxon- what's the difference?

DVDs that teach Saxon- what's the difference?

Soo I'm considering starting Alg 1 over next year with my oldest. We own the book and honestly it looks overwhelming, but perhaps having teaching on audio would help. BUT I see Art Reed, DIVE, and Saxon teacher. What on earth is the difference? Why is one better than the other?

I'm also considering going a complete 180 and trying Math U See for Alg on up. I haven't decided yet.

(We've completely stopped with CLE Alg for the rest of the year. I'm letting my son have a break and do Kahn academy for at least an hour a day. Not perfect, but we need to go a different direction, and rather than do nothing until I choose the course, this is where we've landed)

re: DVDs that teach Saxon- what's the difference?

I recently replied to a similar question and decided to copy and paste my reply here for you. :) We have tried DIVE in the past, but ended up preferring the others listed below.

"We too, have used and loved CLE in the past with our kids, and have found Saxon to also be a good fit, and a nice next step for our kids. After doing a lot of research myself on video helps for teaching Saxon, I landed on using the Saxon Teacher CD's, for teaching the actual lesson (as it mirrors the lessons presented in the Saxon text), and then my kids watch the short Art Reed DVD that corresponds with their lesson. Might seem like overkill to some, but I've found my kids learn best with a video lesson that presents visual and auditory presentation for the lessons. (And I've learned through experience, that "I" just can't keep up with teaching & correcting five levels of math every day (along with everything else), without burning out.) By doing the Saxon Teacher, they aren't missing anything the book presents, and since the discs also have every single problem in the course worked out, it's great to refer to (together) if they get stuck. They then watch the short (usually 6-10 min) Art Reed video, which is like having a math teacher in your home teaching the lesson they just learned, but in a more straightforward practical way, while working a few practice problems and explaining as he goes, as well as giving tips and pointers to help them understand the concept. My kids are LOVING Mr. Reed's videos! :)

This might not be deemed necessary for some, but for us it's been an excellent way to thoroughly teach the lessons, and make it more independent for my kids (unless they need help, which of course I am available to give). With five kids to teach, it's made math much easier for me to manage, so much more enjoyable, and helped my kids feel more successful as well. I know it's more expensive this way, but it's working so much better than other expensive programs we've tried, I feel it's very worth the cost. Plus, you could easily sell it when you're done with it. It's likely not going to be a great fit for everyone, but "for our family" it's been a big blessing. ;)"

If I had to choose one, it would be the Art Reed dvds, but we do love both! ;) Best wishes!

This post was edited on Apr 13, 2017 03:23 PM

Thank you! That is a very helpful review!

I prefer Saxon Teacher and I've tried all three. You can't beat the ability to see every single problem worked out, including test problems, at the click of a button.

Since you are looking for algebra with video, you might want to take a look-see at Algebra Within Reach. The teacher is Dana Mosely from Chalk Dust. The text can be bought used and the videos are free online along with self grading tests online and more.
http://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ea6e/?landing_page=1

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions