Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MUS geometry or TT

MUS geometry or TT

Is this enough? I hate to even ask this question, but I really want to know we have covered the necessary topics for the ACT and for future maths. This is one subject I wasn't happy with what I did with my two oldest.
It looks like a gentle approach building up to proofs.

I'm open to suggestions on this. I've considered TT.
I don't want Saxon.
Thoughts?

re: MUS geometry or TT

We are planning on using MUS Geometry next year. I've read lots about MUS over the years and have heard so many differing opinions-from students who aced their SATs and ACTs to those who bombed on them. I've read the same differing reviews on TT.

I'm comfortable sticking with MUS. I'm more concerned with mastery than test scores. However, I plan on having my daughter work on SAT prep through Khan academy as well, so we will be able to see any gaps at that point and work on them as needed.

I've tried TT, Saxon, and Tablet Class but none of them beat MUS for true understanding. Both of my kids have done best with MUS. That also may have something to do with having a mom who is not strongest in higher level math skills. I have learned right along with them and MUS has been the best fit for me as well. :-)

Thanks, Melanie!
I think I'm stressing over this too much. I've flipped back in forth in my mind over what to do and even debating myself on whether geometry comes before or after algebra 2! I feel more at ease with the idea of Mus. I feel we have a better chance of retention. Retention is key! Thanks for the reminder!

My son used MUS for geometry (actually MUS all the way through), and he did pretty well on his math portion of the ACT with a 28. It wasn't his highest scoring subject, but I don't think he felt under prepared.

And, he invested a lot of study time before his test. That helps a lot. And he took it twice. His math score can up a bit that second time.

He did end up with an great overall score of a 31. But, it was because of his strong English score (35). So, even though they may not get top numbers in one of the subjects, their strengths can really help them pull off a good score over all.

Faith, that's very encouraging. Thanks for chiming in! And those are awesome scores!
With a score like that in English, I just got to ask...what did you use? Though I'm sure a good bit is that he is strong in that area too.
My second ds is taking the Act in a couple of weeks. He is nervous, even though we have practiced. I'm trying to start earlier in prep for my dd too because she gets nervous too.

And I'm glad it was encouraging; I was hoping it would be!

My son was nervous too. I think the second time taking it helps a little, because they at least have an idea what to expect. Even feeling more comfortable at the testing site, etc. is important, I think.

He did BJU Writing and Grammar until 7th or 8th grade. And then we switched to Easy Grammar Ultimate. But, you're right, English has always just been a more natural strength for him.

My dd has used the exact same publishers as her brother, but she struggles. She will be a junior next year, and will be taking the ACT then as well. I'm hoping she will do all right.

Faith,
That makes me want to go ahead with my plans to use Easy Grammar next year. We are a bit burned out on grammar.

Do you use a lit program or just read from a book list?

We use Abeka literature.

My teens prefer to read excerpts of stories for answering questions, tests, studying literature topics, etc.

I've been happy with Abeka. I feel like they are good selections, with a nice variety. And the tests and quizzes are doable..in work load and scheduling.

I still have them read about 4 novels a year, but I only have them write me a book review at the end. If they knew they had to analyze the novel, it would have ruined it for them.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions