Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Which spine for elementary American history?

Which spine for elementary American history?

I decided not to use Abeka 4th grade history as our spine. I want to keep it simpler and more interesting. I have lots of living books to add to it. This is for 1st-7th graders (their individual living books will vary, but I want one main spine).

The choices are:
America's Story (O'Dell; now being published by Master Books)
Stories of America (Sonya Shafer of SCM)
A Child's First Book of American History (Miers; published by BF Books)

America's Story looks good but gets pricey by the time you get all 3 American history volumes. I wouldn't get the TMs; just the books.

I need to do this as inexpensively as possible, but do want to get the most interesting spine I can. :)

re: Which spine for elementary American history?

The BF one.

Nm

This post was edited on Mar 19, 2017 06:47 PM

I would offer another choice....America The Beautiful from Notgrass..... They have two review books...one for the older set and one fro younger kiddos, maps and i think timeline also.

It is something the older kids can read to the youngers and has lots of good pictures to make it interesting for them also.

Marne

I vote the Beautiful Feet one. :)

I like the Simply Charlotte Mason book a lot. Beautiful Feet books are always good but I haven't read that particular one.

The Angela O'Dell books are not in the same category IMO. They are much more textbookish than the other 2. I didn't care for the one I tried with my daughter. We ended up shelving it and using it as a reference book.

I've used an Angela O'dell (the first one), I did not like it at all, I felt like it needed a lot of supplementing and the writing tone seemed childish to me. I can't offer any opinions on the other two books.

I looked at the SCM sample. I think it would be a good spine to build from. It looks nice but I've never seen the others.
Have you decided which one? I'm trying to find a spine to read from for my younger dc too.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions