Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Favorite grammar for elementary?

Favorite grammar for elementary?

We will do BJU for reading. I'm making up my own writing lessons from books I already have and Pinterest. I might use Easy Grammar and Daily Grams.

But...just wondering what's your favorite Grammar for elementary? 3rd and 5th? And yes, I know some of you don't do Grammar for young ages, but I want to. And yes, I may have already asked this question....life is crazy, busy....so I don't remember if I did or not.

re: Favorite grammar for elementary?

Nothing clicked long term for us, but....our favorites were FLL and Easy Grammar

FLL is interesting and includes many chants, lots of work orally (not just on paper), and lots of beautiful and interesting poems and excerpts. Really lovely and effective.

Easy Grammar is totally 100% painless and if you use the books every year, year after year it will stick. But it is dry as bones.

Hope this helps!

I like the idea of FLL, but it just doesn't seem like enough to me.

I've used EG and DG before, but I'm just not loving the idea of it for next year.

For those ages, I like R&S English, but I use it a year behind. You can do it all orally or have them read the lessons alone and do the accompanying worksheets.

For 6th+ I like LLATL, but I still use R&S until then.

This post was edited on Mar 18, 2017 03:27 PM

Rod & Staff, Voyages in English by Loyola Press, and my new favorite is The Good and the Beautiful by Jenny Phillips.

I used R&S for many years, but the one concept at a time approach wasn't sticking for us.

I recently switched them to Christian Light Education for grammar only (I do other things for reading, spelling, & writing). It is inexpensive enough I am fine with only using the grammar pages. In 2 months they have learned so much! It is really pulling together everything they learned in R&S in a way that sticks and makes sense. I see retention with the small bites daily for each portion of grammar.

Just grammar? Easy Grammar.

We used Shurley English through the Elementary school years, which gave a good solid foundation. Then, Growing with Grammar during the MS years. Now in HS, dd uses Easy Grammar.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions