Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Economics

Economics

My oldest will be a senior next year and I'm looking for a good economics class (and some other stuff). I've looked at MFW 12th grade program, which I know contains more than economics. Would that style of program be hard to jump into as a senior? I like that it's all included and has it all scheduled, but he doesn't like too much having lots of different books going at once.
I'm also considering Notgrass, which is one semester. They also have a one semester government class. He's doing Notgrass American history now and he likes the style.
I've also considered our community college where he's taking other classes but they have micro and macro, not sure which would be best since I think he just needs a general overview...also HSLDA offers online classes but those include a separate micro and macro too.
Any opinions??

re: Economics

I've looked at MFW 12th grade program, which I know contains more than economics. Would that style of program be hard to jump into as a senior?

You can do that Economics programs without having done anything else MFW. It is a stand alone program (not even published by mfw or anything). Nothing in the US2 (aka mfw grade 12) daily lesson planner is added to make it special.

I realize the name changed from Economics in a Box to some fancy greek sounding word. if you're wondering....
changes other that the title (and removal of Penny Candy book):
Video is all online access now instead of dvd. the workbook changed enough that you have to get the workbook that matches the original or fancy name. order of "weeks" were changed so mixing and matching workbooks will not work! and it was not as simple as Week X old is now Week X plus 3 or anything that simple. so get the stuff that matches.
an additional author was added (some college prof who added in some honors discussion).
But all of the materials to successfully do Oikonomia (econ for life, formerly called EBOX) are still in the teacher materials MFW didn't add or change from that.

I really liked the style of Econ in a Box/Oikonomia. So you could do that one semester (it has high school intro on both micro and macro, pro free market, biblical worldview). And then do your Notgrass civics/gov't

As I said, you can do that oikonomia.EBOX course without having done any mfw. It's not connected or intertwined or tweaked.

In terms of jumping into MFW for just grade 12, I probably wouldn't do that unless everything in the whole program (Bible, US History from 1877 to modern, econ, and list of modern novels to read and general direction to do a research paper) really appealed to you. But it sounded like you said he's doing a full year US history now, so no need to repeat the second semester in grade 12 with other products, right? They do their gov't credit in 11th grade.

but you can consider the econ they sell. have you seen the samples? I ask that, because last week when I went to figure out the differences in old vs new EBOX (economics in box), my google search took some time to find it.
here's link
http://econforlife.com/

and then you can scroll through course descriptions to find samples, etc.

I really liked the "think tank" approach this program used. thought it had good content. and the approach helped my oldest be ready for similar style of humanities classes in college.

This post was edited on Mar 17, 2017 04:53 PM

Thinkwell has both Macro and Micro or you can order combined course. I have not used their economics, but have been pleased with their math.

Saylor.org has economics courses that I believe are designed to follow CLEP standards.

Modern States has a free online economics course. I have not used it but it was recommended on another forum that I use.
https://modernstates.org/course/principles-of-microeconomics/

I hope you will come back to this post and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

We wanted to keep economics light and manageable. My son (who is also a senior) wasn't really interested in the subject, but I knew it was important. Plus, I wanted it on his transcript.

This is what we used:

A totally free set of videos, called Crash Course in Economics. Here is the link to #1. And there are a bunch in the series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ez10ADR_gM

Plus, we used:

"Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" and the workbook to go along with it by Bluestocking Guide.

Here is a review of one that sounds good, unless you're into a lot of extra reports and projects, that is.

http://www.annieandeverything.com/high-school-economics-homeschool-curriculum/

If he likes the style of Notgrass history then he would probably like their Economics. My daughter did it and it was fine, not super exciting, but it got the job done.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions