Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Biology---WWYD?

Biology---WWYD?

So......I had signed my daughter up for a couple online classes next year. One of the classes is a Biology class through The Well Trained Mind Academy (I really need to outsource high school science). I just got the textbook for the class, Holt Biology. It is very heavy on evolution. I knew the class would be secular, and I thought I was ok with that. I figured maybe the text would go over a chapter or unit on it, and I thought it would be ok because I want my daughter to know what others believe so that she can defend what she believes. However, this text has evolution weaved throughout the whole text. I almost can't find a paragraph that doesn't talk/reference it.

She will probably pursue a degree in science some day, so she needs to have a strong science track for high school. I am a little unsure if I want her to take this class now, but I also don't want to be over paranoid. Apologia Biology via Veritas Press is also something I am considering now.

What would you do?

re: Biology---WWYD?

Have you checked out HSLDA on-line academy?

http://academy.hslda.org/science-courses

I'd switch her to apologia if it were me. Give her a good foundation in the truth now, before she encounters all the evolution stuff in college.

On that note, I highly recommend the Answers Books (Ken Ham). When I was in college (secular), I knew I didn't believe in evolution, but didn't have the apologetics training to be able to explain myself.

I'd choose apologia, Abeka, BJU...I basically agree with Sharon. A good grounding at this age is very important.

We are using the free at your own pace Apologia Biology course from Virtual Homeschool Group this year. It's been great! Well, great for a free course, that is.

They offer free live classes as well.

There's an amazing Christian woman named Catie Frates who teaches online Apologia science courses. She is a scientist and former homeschool mom. I've heard her speak several time and have talked with her and she is awesome! She is excited about Jesus and excited about science and that's a great combination for a science teacher. :-D

I haven't used her classes yet because I haven't wanted to pay $300 for something I feel comfortable teaching myself. I do plan on having my daughter take a couple of her shorter, $50 classes at some point.

Yeah, I agree with switching to something else like Abeka. Remember how satan is a sneaky lier...very cunning. Her soul is of utmost importance in this life.

I'd also switch. I agree that being well grounded first is important. The current US biology high school textbooks are really pushing evolution as if that's the main core of everything biology related. I found this especially interesting because I recently purchased a Singapore biology textbook that only made a few brief references to evolution, and Singapore scores much high than the US on international science testing.

BJU biology online or DVD, while not an interactive course, is especially demanding and would also be a good choice for a future science major. On the WTM forum, they call BJU honors biology. Apologia also has DVD and online classes available now. Lab kits for BJU, Apologia, and Abeka are available at homesciencetools.com.

This post was edited on Mar 17, 2017 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone. I have decided not to have her take the class. We probably are not going to do Biology this year for 9th grade, she has chosen a different science elective.

Do you think this Master Book course plus the Biology 101 dvd's would be good for a Biology credit?

http://www.masterbooks.com/homeschool-curriculum/subject/science/advanced-pre-med-studies-pack

If not, we will probably do Apologia w/Veritas next year. I also plan to order Friendly Biology to check it out when it becomes available.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions