Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Chalkdust math for high school?

Chalkdust math for high school?

Do any of you have experience with algebra 2 and precalculus? Any insight would be great!

re: Chalkdust math for high school?

I'm using the generic version of Chalk dust algebra. We just started using the elementary/intermediate combined course which will cover algebra 1 and 2. Then if all goes well, I have CD Pre-calc on the shelf. Again, I'm using the off brand books, but still using the Dana Mosely videos. He is an excellent instructor. I will definitely start dd with this next year since she doesn't "love" Saxon, but manages to get through it.

DS's book has mid chapter quizzes and end of chapter tests. (That kind of reminds me of CLE and we are use to that.)

The separate algebra 1 and algebra 2 books repeat topics, but the combined course goes straight through all algebra topics in one shot so you can finish algebra 1 and 2 at a faster pace, thank goodness.
I picked up an extra book for dd for less than $20 used on Amazon and the instructional videos, videos worked out solutions of odd problems, and pre and post chapter tests are all free online.

http://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ea6e/?landing_page=1

Since you are just looking specifically for algebra 2, you can just get the intermediate algebra text which is also available cheap on Amazon used and use the website.

Hope that helps!

So you would want to look up Intermediate algebra within reach on Amazon. Hope that all made sense. Lots of kids in the room with me chatting and it's hard to focus. :S

Here's a link (the used books start at $16.70 for algebra 2):

https://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Algebra-Within-Reach-6th/dp/1285087410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489690396&sr=8-1&keywords=intermediate+algebra+within+reach

This post was edited on Mar 16, 2017 01:56 PM

Morning song, wow! Is this the same as Chalkdust essentially? I'm guessing it is? Do you know what the difference is because those Chalkdust courses are expensive and I've heard such good things about Moseley?

Yes! He is an excellent instructor. Dana Mosely recorded his teaching videos with ??? (forgot name of company maybe it was houghton mifflin?) and he was allowed to use the videos, so he marketed his teaching videos with the texts (which are expensive as well when new) along with his availability to answer any questions that students had via phone or email in a neat and tidy package deal.

I read a great post on WTM that Cengage who put out the videos were the same and bought those with the videos to go along with the books. The books were cheaper if you ordered the same ISBN back then but those have since all sold out. You may find them used here and there, but they are almost impossible to get now.

Then, I just recently came across a post that had listed the information about Algebra within Reach. It is essentially the same. You get the online instruction and online quizzes and tests are graded for you instantly. There are videos of the odd problems being worked out as well.

The text book is also written by the same author as the one used in the CD package, Ron Larson.

It's a great deal if you can get a copy of the book used.

I checked the first chapter of the online instruction with my videos and it is the same except the online ones are broken down even further into segments which is nice if you just want to review one particular segment within a lesson.

The text my son is using is listed used for a few hundred dollars now, but I bought mine for around $10 a couple years ago since everyone was snatching them up. :)

fixed a typo

This post was edited on Mar 16, 2017 09:17 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions