Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Question for those that have used The Great Courses video's

Question for those that have used The Great Courses video's

I am incorporating one of their courses into the Anatomy and Fitness elective I am writing for my ds for next year. I was just wondering if you have had your student take notes while watching these, do you make up questions for them to answer, or what? I have thought about having him take notes on one a week, or write a paragraph about something he found interesting etc. Would love to hear what others have done.

re: Question for those that have used The Great Courses video's

I think your ideas sound great and are very doable!

I wanted them to take notes but the lectures were so engaging that note taking was hard and almost distracting.

You could have them take notes, you can easily have class discussion after each video or you could have a written quiz, it is easy to take right from the video or to take from the book that outlines the lectures and have a quiz or test.

We just watched the videos and had meaningful and engaging discussion. I might have them write paper or a paragraph like you have suggested, on a topic from the course or might have a test/quiz at some point.

But our other course work is so heavy I might not do that because the videos we had and the discussion we had was well above anything I ever did in high school for the topic we did.

HTH

This post was edited on Mar 16, 2017 08:52 AM

We just watched them and had discussions, but we were using them as a supplement. Our courses were mostly informative. I think the ones you plan on using include exercises, so he can probably apply what he learns into his routine.

Note taking didn't work well for my ds. He's applied what he's learned in projects (art and cooking), had discussions (history), or competed questions on a simple study guide I prepared using the class guidebook (speech).

Lots of good ideas, thank you! The only reason I had considered note taking was due to the fact he has dysgraphia so he hasn't done tons of note taking. I would just have him practice jotting down a few things using a note taking app on the computer, more just to get used to how those work. Still tossing that around. It would be easy to make up just a quick quiz once a week from the lecture guides. It is really a supplement for us also. He will have other worksheets that go along with the anatomy. Some of the lectures are actual workouts so I may have him discuss with me afterward what he thought of the workouts and which parts he might use in his training.

We home school mom's worry sometimes about doing enough when it has been my experience that most the time we are doing much more than the public school.

So with that said, these are college courses that you are hearing lectures on, it's is an entire semester of work for college credit. Had your child taken the course in college he or she would have done the suggested reading in part or in full, and would have had probably one or two papers and one or two tests for full college credit.

My point is that is quite a supplement! ;)

What I mean by that is these courses are more than adequate for a stand alone course.

If you are using them as a supplement I wouldn't require anything else to go with the lectures since you are already doing other stuff on that topic.

I say this to ease the home school mom's worries.

slightly different perspective here in how to not worry, but not let a valuable learning experience slip by.

I think they do provide a good place to practice note taking skills with your son with learning differences even if it's a taste of what might happen in a lecture.

couldn't hurt to practice safely at home: if you were in class, what would you do? if you were in class with this lecture, what accommodations would you have with your learning differences?

practice now and it will be that much easier for his post secondary learning experiences. and let him see now (with low risk on grade issues at home) what he will need to self advocate for help in college. yes, in college there are disabilities accommodations and sometimes it might involve being able to record lectures to take notes later. But it all depends on too many things to go into now.

With all that said, when my oldest used some of the great courses, she just watched and used narration. Her learning issues for college weren't about notes and such. So when she was doing great course dvd in high school, it was about basic content of the material and not doing a quiz/etc.

to me? it's a homeschool opportunity in learning how to help the student figure out how he learns best and giving time to practice those habits without major risk to grades/etc. If none of that is needed for your son, then just sit back and enjoy the dvds.

cbollin actually that is what I am thinking of doing in that I want him to try out a few notetaking apps and see which ones work best for him. I know google docs has voice recognition that is supposed to be very good and I also found an app that works with google docs and videos and ear marks the time on the video that he took his notes. I also want him to try out Evernote.

He says he isn't going to college now that he has found his niche coaching kids at the Ninja gym, but I still want him to be prepared to advocate for himself if things change.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions