Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

High School Planning 2017-2018

re: High School Planning 2017-2018

I'm glad you got the good from the article and I hope you and other are encouraged. I was blessed and reminded of my calling ... to see the raw masterpiece before me through the eyes of the Artist and Creator in a whole new light.

Your classes and field trips sound engaging and far from boring. You have a knack for brainstorming and I'm sure the mama & her hunter son were greatly blessed for helping them do what they love, instead of being stuck in the ordinary rut. Maybe your other blog post will be "Inside, Outside and Upside Down - Getting Out of the Box and Into Learning." :O)

PS. Penguins are Cute... Chilly Willy from WoodyWoodpecker, the Penguins in MaryPoppins & Dick Vandyke. And let's not forget Happy Feet. Enjoy your Penguin ;O) God made us all different, special, and wonderful in our own way.

I also appreciated the "Fish Don't Climb Trees" article. I even had my husband read it, and he's going to send it to a coworker.

Next year 12th:

Basic College Math (college developmental course/applied pre-algebra at home taught by me)

English (Write Source, Easy Grammar, & an integrated language arts program with literature that I'm still searching for)

Marketing (Glencoe)

Photography (Great Courses, DK)

Business Communications

A Guest Hollow science of his choice?

This post was edited on Mar 20, 2017 04:48 PM

My ds has some stuff up in the air because he really disliked taking courses from SO many different providers! HIs breaks, exam times, midterm times, etc. were always different. Add to that the closing of Landry, and transfer to another new school and each LMS (learning mangagement system) is all different too! He did really really well...but...

I think he is just going to use TPS for everything next year. ANd take classes at our local homeschool center for whatever they offer.

SO:
English- LOCAL 2.x per week (loves his teacher, gets along with classmates)
German 2- TPS
Honors Chemistry- TPS
AP Comparative Government or other AP History- TPS
Saxon Advanced Math (includes pre-calc and Geometry) with Saxon Teacher
Mathnasium 4x per week tutoring and test prep
and some kind of elective or Bible course- TPS

The downside to all of this is cost. It looks like TPS raised their prices again this year, and with the closing of Landry they are going to have a huge influx of students, so charging a tad more is reasonable and will make only those students who REALLY want the course sign up.

I'm going with her request for subjects this time.
Editing to say this is for 10th

Astronomy, maybe from Master Books
Seven Sisters Psychology
Report on a country weekly using Window on the World and Pray for the World, maybe some online sources too
Writing Fiction with Sharon Watson
Algebra 1, rethinking other options than Teaching Textbooks, since she's had some trouble
Continue Japanese studies using Japanese From Zero
ACT prep book

I will also have an 8th grade girl who I'm trying hard to get her ready for high school.

This post was edited on Mar 19, 2017 04:50 PM

13 year old dd (9th-ish grade) will probably use:

Jacobs Elementary Algebra
Biology 101
Wordsmith/Life of Fred Language Arts/our own booklist
American history using various documentaries and movies and DK's "Children's Encyclopedia of American History" as the spine
Guitar
American Sign Language
Life of Fred Personal Finance

11th grade for my daughter

Bible--Life of Jesus using Drive Thru History: The Gospels, reading through the 4 Gospels, and doing notebooking (1 semester)
Still working out the 2nd semester

English--American Literature (my own booklist with various study guides and writing assignments) and Easy Grammar Ultimate Gr. 11

Math--Finishing Saxon Algebra 2 and starting Saxon Advanced Math

Science--Abeka Biology

History--BJU American History

Foreign Language--using Mango through our library, but not sure which language yet

Music Appreciation--American 20th Century

Perhaps some ACT Test Prep

My daughter will be v in 11th next year and I'm stressing over what to do with her. She's doing MOH vol 3 currently. can she do vol 4 next year? If so what does she do in 12th for history? I'm good on the rest of her stuff I'm just flipping out over that one subject.

"My daughter will be v in 11th next year and I'm stressing over what to do with her. She's doing MOH vol 3 currently. can she do vol 4 next year? If so what does she do in 12th for history? I'm good on the rest of her stuff I'm just flipping out over that one subject."

Yes, MOH vl. 4 would work just fine for 11th. For 12th you might consider Government/Economics if you dd hasn't studied that yet. Notgrass has a Government course.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions