Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Favorite American History for Highschool

Favorite American History for Highschool

I have looked into Sonlight Core 100, Notgrass American History, and MasterBooks American History (Stobaugh). Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there a different course for American History that you would recommend?

re: Favorite American History for Highschool

The only one we've used of the ones you mentioned is Sonlight Core 100. The core is chock full of wonderful books, but my students were having a hard time keeping up with all the reading, and wanted more variety/depth in daily assignments. We went back to Heart of Dakota. My oldest is using their US1 guide this year, and we plan on doing the US2 guide next year, for senior year. So far it's been a fantastic US History course with engaging books, videos and assignments. Highly recommend! :)

This post was edited on Mar 15, 2017 09:06 PM

I haven't actually used this one, but seriously considering for my daughter in a couple of years.

http://jellybeanjar.org/store/america-land-of-opportunity/

We've recently begun using James Stobaugh's American History text as our history spine. It is fitting our purposes well so far. The lessons are short so that gives us plenty of time to add in biographies and other living history books.

Some of the reading is difficult. Stobaugh uses a very advanced vocabulary which gives some students a hard time. My daughter is fine with the vocab but reading from some of the original sources is pretty tough. I'm still happy with it as it's a good stretching exercise for my daughter.

The assignments often require more research from the student and they are what make the course enough for a high school credit as they take a bit of time to complete.

We are Charlotte Mason homeschoolers so here's how we are using it. My daughter reads a lesson on Monday-Thursday. She also reads from a living history book on those days. On Fridays, she chooses an assignment from that week's chapter to complete.

I'm not usually a big fan of textbooks for history but I've had hard time finding a good living book for a high school spine. I think Stobaugh's books are a nice compromise.

My dd did Notgrass and it was ok, not great, just ok. It was very much just a get it done class for her. I don't think she retained much at all, based on conversations we have around the dinner table where I am amazed by how little she knows. It didn't spark any interest in history that's for sure.

My son has loved HOD US history 1. He has found it very interesting and he does remember it, but I know you have used HOD in the past and it didn't work for you.

My teen sons and husband were sitting at the table at lunch today discussing WWII. The Albert Marrin books came up.

So, I would suggest Beautiful Feet because these book packs were the ones my guys read and it seems to have stuck just by reading the books.

Thank you all! I appreciate your feedback. I haven't ruled out HOD yet. HOD did work really well for my daughter. I don't want to bore her to death with four years of Notgrass. She is using it this year, and she says it is very dry and boring compared to HOD. I would have considered BF, but she has already read a couple of the books from that package. Right now I am trying to decide between Sonlight and HOD. Obviously if I choose HOD she would be doing WG next year because she is only going to be a 9th grader.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions