Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Writing & Rhetoric by classical academic press

Writing & Rhetoric by classical academic press

I'd never heard of it until a new acquaintance mentioned that she really likes it.
I thought I'd see if any of you ladies have ever used this and what your opinions are? Thanks!

re: Writing & Rhetoric by classical academic press

We are loving CAP's W&R this year! I'm using Book 1: Fable, and Book 3: Narrative II with two of my kids this year. Its the first writing program we've used that they actually look forward to doing each day, and don't complain about. They present the lessons in such an engaging way, that makes it enjoyable to do. I highly recommend them! ;)

***I will also add that I wouldn't begin book 1 (Fable) until about 4th grade. You could begin it sooner, but I think it's more enjoyable at that age.

momtofive...thanks! What ages are you using those with? Do you have to start at fable to make it work?
Do you add a grammar course?

I'm a little late finding out about W&R, and wanted to start out gently. I'm using Fable (book 1) with my 5th grader, mostly because it's right up her alley. She loves fables, and is very creative, so it seemed like a great place to start. My 7th grader is using Narrative II (book 3) since she just needed to shore up on some narration skills. So no, I wouldn't say you'd *need* to begin with book 1. In book 3, they are reviewing concepts covered in Fable, but not as deeply, of course. I began the 7th grader with book 3. Just look over the samples closely, and try to determine where you think your student could comfortably start.

The program is designed to alternate with grammar, but we just do our grammar program alongside, which works fine. By doing this, we should be able to easily get through 2-3 books a year, so I'm not worried that mine are a bit older than the suggested ages listed for each book. I'm more focused on the skills being built along the way. I originally got them with the intention that it would just be a filler between writing programs, as my 7th grader wasn't quite ready for WWS. We like it so much, I plan to stick with it. ;)

Those are the grade levels I have too. I'm looking at the samples.
Three *last*questions :), how long do they spend a day at this and how much time does it take you to do your part? What grammar are you using?
Thanks for the help!

No problem! ;) I'd say it takes us 15-20 minutes, give or take. They suggest ways to break up each lesson to do over a week, but it's really up to you, how you'd like to break it down. I'd do whatever you have time for that day, and then stick a tab on that page and return to it the next day. We try to do the initial Story/Lesson part, the Tell It Back, and Go Deeper sections on day 1. You could break that into two days, too. Then we do the Writing Time sections over the next two days. The lessons aren't identical, so you can kind of judge as you go how much you and your student can easily do that day. I'm sitting with them right now for the lessons, and when we come to a writing assignment, I find it's a good place to stop and assign that writing to be done before tomorrow's lesson time. This keeps it manageable for them, and they can focus on one aspect at a time. I can see this being much more independent as we go, and as they get the hang of it. I'd say the first few books are probably geared for more parent/teacher interaction, which I don't mind at all, as all the helps you need are in the teachers manual, and it doesn't take long each day. One other aspect we've loved, is that they have suggested answers, and sample summaries and assignments that really help a lot if a student gets stuck, not knowing what to write. ;)

Eta: It posted before I was done typing, so a few things were added/fixed! ;)

This post was edited on Mar 16, 2017 08:52 AM

I just realized I forgot to add what we're using for grammar. My 5th grader is using CLE Language Arts (which is because we started the year with it, and wanted to finish it out, as it's a wonderful grammar program.) I'll likely use Jr. Analytical Grammar for her next year, or IEW's Fix-It ....still pondering that. ;) For the 7th grader were using IEW'S Fix-It Grammar, which is a nice light grammar that is easy to do alongside most any writing program. I'm thinking about moving her to Analytical Grammar next year or possibly even the new Advanced Language Lessons that WTM press us coming out with sometime this year. The jury's out yet on my grammar plans for next year, but the main thing to remember is that W&R will pair nicely with pretty much any grammar-only program.

Great, thanks for all the help! I'm thinking we are going to give it a try. Writing enough has been the ugly spot in our efforts in language arts. I want something we can just stay involved in day to day rather than sporadically.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions