Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What might work for us?

What might work for us?

I'm excited...next year my ds15 will be coming back to homeschool after freshman year at a public tech school. He was always homeschooled before this year as well.
So, I'm starting to think about curriculum. He told me he liked something we did when he was in 8th grade, which was based on KONOS. We didn't do it for very long because it was so much work for me. But I used the KONOS guide loosely and put together a schedule pulling together different resources. For instance, I picked a topic and pulled from different books we have here and had him read some pages, watch this YouTube video, write about this, or draw an illustration of that. But I had to research and pull it all together.
He is dyslexic so a lot of reading will not work, but he has insight into literature and is quite creative. He learns well by listening. He has a lot of energy so I think the "little bit of this and a little bit of that" works well. I don't think I can pull it together using KONOS just due to energy issues and I also have 3 other kids to homeschool.
Would something like MFW work? The family cycle and worldview appeals to me, although 2 of mine are in high school so they couldn't do the cycle with the other 2 right? I've always wanted to try that. I've used HOD in the past and I like it, but the kids not so much. I also feel like there is just soooo much to it. Maybe use some of it/tweak it? I can't do 4 different guides.
Or maybe there is something I can use as a guide or spine and pull literature, videos, etc. on my own? Sounds overwhelming....Something that organizes topics for me or gives ideas. I know that's like KONOS but is there something with a little more guidance? I always come back to "simple." I'm reading Ruth Beechick and really like her down to earth philosophy.
Sorry if I'm all over the place. Lol

re: What might work for us?

Guesthollow has some science unit studies that may interest him. Also Biblioplan's schedule includes movie suggestions.

This post was edited on Mar 13, 2017 05:47 PM

At the high school level, KONOS is supposed to be more work for the children than the parents. :-)

However, I think your plan might work. You'd just want to really think about the curriculum (which is the content of the subject you're teaching, not the instructional materials themselves). What do you think a world history course should cover? a U.S. history course? What will his English course look like? Which works of literature will he need to read? Are there audio books for that? Writing assignments? What sort of work will you require from him? reports? How will you evaluate them for grades?

We like the little bit of this and little bit of that method in our homeschool, too. We have done that with Easy Peasy Online and now with Genesis Curriculum. I also have a dyslexic daughter. She is 12. But we are using with our daughter who is 15, also and she is not dyslexic. I usually tweak everything I use anyway, to make things right for us.

Thanks for the replies! I'll check those out.
Elliemaejune, you gave me some good things to think about. Yes, take a step back and see what the goals are. I guess I got a little excited. I admit I love looking at curriculum...using it is another story :-o That's why I end up with simple, and usually stuff I piece together, because we can just do the next lesson in each subject...add in some independent reading and read alouds and we're good! Maybe that's what we'll end up with.
I'm always looking at the big, shiny box stuff but end up with old reliable. That's when things go smoothly and we can explore some bunny trails, I'm relaxed so they're calmer and we make steady progress. Otherwise I'm stressed trying to check all those boxes.
Elliemaejune, have you ever used the KONOS high school guides?

I have not used the high school KONOS. I borrowed one to review, but it was after my dc were out of school; I just wanted to be somewhat familiar with it so I could talk to the people in my umbrella school about it. :-)

I'm not sure I could pull it off, either, so there's that. :-)

Barbara Shelton wrote a good book about high school. You might find some helpful information in it.

homeschooloasis.com/high_school_helps_main.htm#senior

Literary Lessons From Lord of the Rings gets good reviews and I think it is unit studyish.

Also, Marcy at Ben And Me (her blog) is using the Pilgrim's Progress unit study for high school and enjoying it.

Diana Waring's history curriculum has a very unit study flavor as well.

I am a keep it simple kind of person as well. I choose a history spine and we read lots of great books to go along with it. We simply read literature and discuss it for literature. We read the Bible for Bible, etc.

Unit studies have never worked for me because they are either too much work for mom, or they have too many boxes to check.

I love Ruth Beechick as well and I'm a big fan of Charlotte Mason.

I just briefly looked at Biblioplan and it looks really good! I'm going to check it out in more detail but I like that it's 3 days and I can do it with my high schoolers and my littles. Also, it includes lots of book choices, questions, discussion guide, coloring pages, activities, maps, timeline, notebook assignments, video suggestions. Lots of choices for everyone's styles. I can pick and choose a little of this and that. :-) Thanks!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions