Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

The Good and The Beautiful Curriculum

re: The Good and The Beautiful Curriculum

I just wanted to confirm any concerns some may have about the curricula being slant towards Mormonism. I really like how this curricula is put together, it's well presented and thought out. Although I did have a concern with the author of this curricula once I found out it was made by Mormons. I know it states that they are presenting the curricula as a non denom. approach ect. I don't find this to be true as I have searched through the samples I do feel that it does lean towards Mormonism/ Universalism and represents their view of God. My personal denomination is IFB Baptist and I see many many discrepancies with the way some things are said and taught about God, they do not represent what I believe to be true in scripture based on my doctrinal stances. For some this may not be an issue but for those like me I thought I would share this and maybe save you some trouble doing all the research I did browsing through it. I really considerer using it because I like the simplicity but after viewing samples from her History she does make some doctrinal stances I am against. Also considering the quotes given by Mormon leaders even though not doctrinal I personally would not use this curricula for my children. I feel most of my concern was with the History, maybe if your only using the language arts it could be less of an issue but I have decided to pass. Hope this is helpful to someone.

I was also disappointed in the history and how they handled the ancient section in the beginning. My dd felt that it was very dry and and didn't like the audio recordings. She is 14 and felt they were too young for her. If you are going to study Bible history, use a different book.

adding my thoughts on year 1 of history.....

1. I did see a few things in the "genesis" time frame lessons that made me have a head tilt in terms of "is that a mormon thing????"
(not sure what other thread I mentioned this on but it had to do with what God did or did not tell Cain to do.) That was not in my bible. And there were 2 other sentences in that section that seemed "off" to me. But one of them seemed ok to others on this forum so clearly there isn't agreement out there about motivation of scattering. In the Cain thing I just mentioned, I simply did not read that part out loud as it was not in my Bible.

2. In my opinion, TGTB history is not trying to be a Bible history program so that's good. Once you get past the idea of fall, flood, scattering and such, I haven't seen a lot of Bible stuff. I don't remember anything major that jumped out about Moses.

at that point, I decided that 2 or 3 sentences wasn't that bad to modify and ignore. But for others it will be more than enough to stop use. that's cool.

3. lesson 17 (or something close to that number), instructions directed LDS people to their LDS supplement, and told non LDS people to insert their own church history info at this point. I thought "seriously???? there are seminary books on the history.. uhmmm... I know, let's skip that and just talk about the local congregation's anniversary date approaching and the changes in the building." sure why not??? that's concrete instead of abstract to us.

4. I was using year 1 history a little "off label". That means to me that I was using it for listening to audio stories and doing some listening comprehension/stories for a learner with severe language disabilities. We ended up quitting it a little after st patrick. We just couldn't get into it. The quality of the audio readings was well done, but something in the content just felt so forced and not enjoyable (that of course is subjective and there will be some children who love it)

5. I felt stupid with the history board game. The first time it is scheduled, very little knowledge has been covered. So, we modified to just let those game cards be something to practice reading out loud. Seems like a cool idea, but implementation was off in my opinion and limited use. However, I did find a way to use it for specific skills and goals, so it's not like it was a horrible experience either.

I wasn't running into lots of Bible/doctrine issues. The few that I did was not a major issue in terms to adjust and leave it out. But for others even that much is not acceptable, so there you go. if I can find my notes on which specific lessons, I might edit that in later for benefit of helping with details for others to make their best decision for their family.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions