Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

The Good and The Beautiful Curriculum

The Good and The Beautiful Curriculum

I've recently discovered T&B LA and history. It looks very well done and engaging. I'm just hoping to hear from others who are using this and what your thoughts are so far. Thanks!

re: The Good and The Beautiful Curriculum

We have only been using this for a short time, so I can't give a detailed review just yet. However, it seems to be working great for my boys. We are using the first edition of Level 1 and 3 LA. It flows together nicely and my boys are learning better with this than any other LA we have used. I like that I don't need to add spelling, writing, etc. as it is all in there. We will continue with this next year.

I have looked at the history and I am considering it for the future. I would probably have purchased that also, but we are doing a full year of American history this year and some of next year. I may pick it up next year after we finish that though. I like the way they go through all of history every year instead of just focusing on one time period for the whole year.

My daughter is using level 7. We love it. It covers many topics so easily making the most efficient use of time. My dd especially loves the art lessons whether it be discussion of artwork or sketching. I have a new appreciation for memorization work and dictation. This is an excellent curriculum for such a small price compared to others. Levels 1-5 are free downloads.

Thank you, both!

Can either of you speak about the "reader" that coordinates with the levels? Just wondering about those.

Any input about the writing instruction so far?

I'm considering the history (and maybe LA) for next year. I like the way it is structured and the addition of the history game and the audio dramatizations.

Thank you!

The reader is excellent. It's convenient to have the books all printed in one convenient spot to read from. The daily lessons will include comprehension questions, and sometimes passages are pulled from the story for the student to edit/punctuate. My daughter had to listen to a recording of the author talk about her last story she read and practice taking notes. She then took a quiz that she was allowed to use her notes to complete. She needed an 80% to pass, or she would have to practice taking notes again from the recording until she could pass the quiz. You can see a samples of the readers and stories on the author's web site.

The reader is excellent. It's convenient to have the books all printed in one convenient spot to read from. The daily lessons will include comprehension questions, and sometimes passages are pulled from the story for the student to edit/punctuate. My daughter had to listen to a recording of the author talk about her last story she read and practice taking notes. She then took a quiz that she was allowed to use her notes to complete. She needed an 80% to pass, or she would have to practice taking notes again from the recording until she could pass the quiz. You can see a samples of the readers and stories on the author's web site.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you!
As far as your daughter listening to a recording of the author talking about her last story...Do you mean your daughter listened to a recording of the author of one of the stories found in the reader? If so, what story, what author? Or maybe you meant your daughter listened to a recording of Jenny Phillips, the author of G&B? Thank you, just trying to understand!

One of her lessons told her to log into The Good and the Beautiful and gave her a password to use where she listened to a pre-recording of Jenny Phillips speak about one of the stories in her reader. I think it was "The Blind Man" and she took notes on this story and what makes a book good, since there are lessons on how to pick books that are "good" and "beautiful" and what the criteria is. Then she took a 10 question quiz about the lecture.

ETA: I think there are only two lessons like this one that I can see. It was very useful in helping her learn how to take notes and picking out useful information.

This post was edited on Mar 10, 2017 01:41 PM

Thank you! That sounds really neat.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions