Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Favorite spelling for 3rd and 5th

Favorite spelling for 3rd and 5th

?

re: Favorite spelling for 3rd and 5th

I've come to appreciate BJU spelling this year. I like the daily exercises, but sometimes we copy the words. I do not buy the TM.
I like the way they organize the words.

I've used sequential spelling, IEW, building spelling skills, Abeka briefly. BJU has proven to be a much better fit for us.

Rod and Staff

Or the studied dictation method. Spelling wisdom is a good resource.

Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff).

I liked BJUP's spelling, but some of the activities are in the TM, which adds to the cost. One of the reasons I like Spelling by Sound and Structure is that everything is in the student book.

I looked at several, and we tried a few. BJUP Spelling was our favorite, hands down. That TE was cheaper than their others, and I always bought them at half price by 'shopping' at used online curriculum sites.

New or old editions of BJU spelling?

Rod and Staff. It teaches the building of words through phonics. It is a very complete spelling program. It suggests dictation as one of the activities. I do daily dictation with them, using the words for the lesson, in addition to the actual lesson pages. With time R&S has helped my children learn how to spell so they can use that knowledge for new words they encounter.

I use the new BJU.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions