Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Sonlight or Notgrass for Highschool

re: Sonlight or Notgrass for Highschool

We are venturing out into Biblioplan next year for 10th grade. We are only going to use the Companion (textbook-like) and add tons of literature readings that they and others (MFW, HOD...) recommend for those time periods.
Download a sample. You may or may not like it but that's what convinced me.
We were using Notgrass through MFW AHL and much prefer the format, layout, readability of the Companion. Seemed less dry than Notgrass.

So you would have both worlds; textbook but not dry and as much literature as your dc wants.

Annaz,

What your doing is exactly what I am considering. Using HOD, and just highlighting the portions I want my daughter to focus on. My daughter always loved HOD, and I can't find anything that meets our needs like it does.

Can you describe how Sonlights book choices can be scary?

Quote:
Summer~ Mar 17, 2017 04:35:PM

Annaz,

What your doing is exactly what I am considering. Using HOD, and just highlighting the portions I want my daughter to focus on. My daughter always loved HOD, and I can't find anything that meets our needs like it does.

Can you describe how Sonlights book choices can be scary?
Well, some are really good. They have some that appear to be easy, yet contain some 3-dimensional depth that is good for discussion. Having said that, I've come across some that are just atrocious in content for the age level. I know that's a per family opinion, so I can only speak for myself in that we don't need all the nitty gritty details of all the bad in life to warrant a discussion or to realize it's wrong, to minister, etc. I also refuse to be immunized in life, because I want my dd shocked at the wrong there is in the world. Not in a naive sense. We don't need to see or read all the details of a head being chopped off by ISIS before we get the point, do we? I think we can get enough info without the details. It's just such a vital developmental age, that I tread lightly on what is needed to get the point across. What can be read or seen can never be unread or unseen. So some books contain a lot of violence, sexual content (one of the middle school cores Bible read I slammed shut! Seemed more suitable for public school teaching, IMO.) Detailed drug use and alcoholism and "detailed" is the key word. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should read it, you know? So I guess it's about details that some choices contain. Others are very good.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions