Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Sonlight or Notgrass for Highschool

Sonlight or Notgrass for Highschool

Would you prefer Sonlight or Notgrass for high school? My daughter wants to use Sonlight because she likes to read real books, and not textbooks, but I am still not 100% sure. We previously used HOD, but the boxes were just getting to be too much for us (too much micromanagement in each box).

re: Sonlight or Notgrass for Highschool

If she's used to the volume of books that are in HOD, then between these two choices, Sonlight would be the better fit. Notgrass is a history "spine" with a lesson to read each day, but then most everything you do at the end of the lesson is related to or bouncing off of the literature that's scheduled. So the Notgrass history by itself isn't much it all; the real meat is in the literature, research, and writing assignments.

That said, Notgrass schedules far LESS literature (quantity-wise) than Sonlight does. So if you have a voracious reader, go with SL. Or do Notgrass so that you have *some* scheduled reading and related assignments, but then provide lots of extra books for her to read on the side that may or may not be related to the history lessons.

I understand completely HOD's micromanagement. I actually drive the guide and won't let my dd near it! Having said that, we've left HOD over the years off and on due to this fact, and have tried many other programs, both textbook and SL.

We found for history textbook just kills the subject. We prefer living books. SL though, is a guide I won't let my dd near either, due to it's commentary that. I just disagree on the whole "immunization" thing. Having said that, SL was less "zoning" than any textbook, but we still went back to HOD, HEAVILY tweaked. Basically, we read the books and dump all the micromanagement. I can do that with only one kid though.

What I did find is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I like HOD's history minus the nonsense. I like SOME of SL for literature. I find in SL I can drop just about any book and it not ruin the program, but I find that in HOD as well, dropping Living Library or just choosing that as well. SL's choices though can be scary, so I really have to do my homework on those choices.

For a voracious reader and a dd who likes history, textbook just created boredom, but it depends if your kids are a get-er-done type, or really enjoy reading.

Then figure out how you are. I do better crossing things out then I do creating. So adding to, instead of removing isn't anything I'm good at.

If you have the money for SL then you could also afford an online history class. Excelsior, G3 and also Well Trained Mind have some nifty classes which may be really enjoyable and mix some textbook type learning with a lot of historical fiction and primary sources. Plus, you get the added benefit of the interaction and discussion. :)

I think Sonlight will be better to go.

SL for sure if she loves reading and prefers real books! :-)

ughhhhh.....your HOD experience resonates with me. We are High School HOD quitters as well. :( I'm trying to find my footing for our last two years of HS. We DID use Notgrass this year for History. It's been a breath of fresh air but I can't say much was retained. Why oh why can't HOD send out surveys? The micromanaging in the High School guides is unbearable.

We've been using SL for a awhile now. My oldest dd is a senior and she's done all the high school cores. She loves to read and is very thankful we did SL throughout high school. Even more important is her walk with the Lord and the discernment she shows. (never give up praying though - need to pray her through college!) I am also thankful for all the conversations we've had, brought on by the books and subjects they raised. Nothing earth shattering, but important things that might not have come up otherwise.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions