Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

8th grade writing and Grammar?

8th grade writing and Grammar?

Hello, looking for a good 8th grade writing and Grammar program. We are doing 7th grade Abeka, not really impressed with it. I heard good things with Bju writing and grammar, thoughts on this, Thanks for your help. I tried IEW writing last year and that didn't work for us. My son likes to learn in small bites at a time. Again thanks for your help..

re: 8th grade writing and Grammar?

If you're looking for a textbook, then Rod and Staff Publishers' English would be my recommendation.

If you would like separate components, then Writing Strands (level 5) and Easy Grammar Plus would be my recommendation.

There is a new program called The Good and the Beautiful that you might look at. Level 7 is advanced and could work for 8th.

My 8th grader will be using Life of Fred Language Arts for grammar and Wordsmith for writing.

We have used BJU English in the past. It is excellent. It wasn't a fit for us because it broke the writing process down into too many steps that began to feel like busy work for my kiddo. We also felt the grammar portion was excessive to the point of boredom. I did very much like the way the chapters alternated between writing and grammar iinstruction. I know that format ends at some point; I'm not sure if it's in junior high or high school.

I really like BJU Writing and Grammar, because it has both in one book. But, I only liked it for the elementary years. By junior high, it just seemed to be "too much". So, we switched to Easy Grammar, using other materials for writing.

Not exactly cost effective but I remember one year we used BJU
and ripped out all the writing parts and used Easy Grammar instead of the BJU grammar.

Titus2,

Hahaha! We have done the opposite at times. :D
I tore out the writing assignments that my student was not ready for, put them aside, and only did the grammar chapters.

BJU does change at 7th grade, and the writing instruction is not nearly as good. I did use BJU 6 for my 8th grader when I brought him home from public school, and the next year he was able to jump to BJU grade 9. BJU 6 is excellent, but I'm not sure that's what you want.

Another writing program to consider is Writing With Skill. It is step by step a little each day. WWS 1 would be a good choice for 8th grade. The following year you could continue with the WWS sequence or move on the something different. You could use BJU's grammar or something like Easy Grammar along with WWS. When we used the upper level BJU texts, I always added another resource for writing instruction.

This post was edited on Mar 14, 2017 08:57 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions