Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Power in your hands writing?

Power in your hands writing?

I am curious about this. I had bought this and sold it and didn't really study it out. :(

I'm wondering if it would suit our needs now. For those of you who stuck to it, are you happy with the results?

re: Power in your hands writing?

We have/are using this. I do like how it is conversational....and breaks everything down, and walks the student through practices and assignments. I also appreciate all the teacher helps, etc.

But, it can be a little overwhelming. There is a lot to the book.

We have also used Jensens Format Writing. And I tend to lean toward preferring this one for us. It's more to the point. Short, sweet, get it done.

Not sure if that helped or not.

Yes it does! I was looking for something to help dd.
I've used format writing with one of my boys! He and I both liked it. I do like that it short and sweet too.
I guess I was having a grass is greener moment and didn't even think about it.

Thanks!

faithandfamily...will you do the Power book in one year or 2? Even though it is a lot of material do you think it does a good job of teaching? Meaning has it been clear and doable for your child or does it still leave him with questions and struggles?
The thing I like about it is that it seems to cover EVERYTHING about writing. Is that the case?

This post was edited on Feb 16, 2017 10:46 AM

faithandfamily...will you do the Power book in one year or 2? Even though it is a lot of material do you think it does a good job of teaching? Meaning has it been clear and doable for your child or does it still leave him with questions and struggles?
The thing I like about it is that it seems to cover EVERYTHING about writing. Is that the case?

We use this for 2 years. And my students' do not finish it all. That is probably because we focus on Literature first semester, and then Composition second semester. But, even doing it as a full year course, I still don't think one year would be enough to complete it.

Yes, it does a good job teaching and it is very thorough. It really takes the student through a lot of daily practice before assignments. So, it walks them through slowly, but this can make it feel like more daily work is involved.

As far as getting the most from this book, they really have to do all the reading and practices. And I'm pretty sure my teens were/are not careful to do that.

I cannot think of any type of assignment that is not covered. I'm looking through the Table of Contents again...I do not see a research paper with thesis statement, but I have my teens do that their senior year. And we use Jensen's for that.

We do Power in Your Hands 9-10 and Jensens 11-12th.

Thank you! That's so helpful in trying to make my final decisions. I want to also use The Lost Tools of Writing for more critical thinking surrounding the invention stage and so maybe if I stretch them both out over 2 years (10th and 11th) it would be doable.

This post was edited on Feb 16, 2017 03:10 PM

We just started using this program this last week so we don't have much experience with it yet.

The reason I chose it is because it covers every kind of writing needed for college prep learning and it breaks it all down into nice, doable steps.

I think it has 108 lessons so that isn't too much at all. I plan on having my daughter do 2 lessons a week so it will take her a couple of years to finish it. It is probably the only writing program we will use for high school other than Windows to the World, which covers writing lit analysis papers more in depth and looks like fun to me.

After we complete these programs, I will have my daughter practice with writing prompts and writing across the curriculum until graduation.

At least that's my plan right now. Plans are subject to change though! :-)

I know this post is a few weeks old. Trying to find out if The Power in Your Hands is too "wordy" My son likes direct, easy to follow instruction. He tends to get lost in the wordiness of overly drawn out directions. Hope that makes sense.

I am also considering Essentials in Writing 9.

Thank you,
Renee

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions