Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Choosing a Christian curriculum

Choosing a Christian curriculum

If you could choose one curriculum, boxed or not, that does a great job in the assistance of pointing your children to Christ, defending their faith, missions and serving others, which would it be?

re: Choosing a Christian curriculum

Not sure what counts as "boxed" and what does not, but if I were going to choose everything from a single publisher, it would be Rod and Staff.

#1 would be ABeka, hands down.
#2 would be a toss-up between ACE and BJUP.
#3 would be R&S.

Are you talking about something that covers all subjects, or just Bible?

My dd (9th) grade is using the Apologetics course from Master Books this year. It is great; she is learning so much.

For us, My Father's World. ❤️
We've used Adventures 2nd/3rd grade through AHL 9th so far and will continue with it next year.

Heart of Dakota! :)

Rod & Staff - for us it was also based on using the King James Version of the bible.

No curriculum worked for us for this ...

We used Leading Little Ones to God
Jesus Storybook Bible

These two books literally led one of my children each, to the Lord. With faith that has been evident ever since even through many trials.

We went through 3 of the 4 Apologia Who is God series and it was EXCELLENT...Highly recommended!

Then we moved on to reading the Bible aloud (ESV is good or the 1984 NIV is a favorite with one of my kids)

Another thing that had a HUGE impact on my kids was AWANA :)

And, also The Gospel Project Sunday School curriculum at church (I taught it and made sure to follow up at home)

Now that they are teens we use well chosen Christian books alongside Bible courses and reading the Bible itself.

Some things that did NOT work:
CLP Bible- seemed like endless black and white pages to my kids
Explorer's Bible study- just too much fill in the blanks on their own

We found that the Bible verses randomly thrown into Christian curriculum throw my kids off and seems strange to them, and though I don't mind the verses, the bible teachings that are often somewhat randomly added to the subject matter just seem odd to us. We found that there are publishers that weave it in without sounding too preachy (Abeka does a good job with Science)...while there are others that weave it in, in such a strange and disjointed, preachy and even legalistic way that "leading them to Christ" would be the LAST thing that would happen (I am thinking of ACE here. ...and I like and use some ACE ) ...and then there are good curricula (I am thinking of Monarch/SOS that) that are pretty good overall but say some very strange random things that are so far out of left field it makes me scratch my head!

So, IMO I would not count on regular curriculum to help lead your child to Christ. I think instead you will find that different curricula and different methods meet them at different times of their lives.

Right now my son is not into reading his own Bible, he does his worldview/Bible course and attends church, and Youth Group ...but he sits with me every morning while I drink my coffee. So one day I asked him if it was ok if I read my Bible reading to him every morning, and he loves it and even asks for it. Soemtimes you just have to gently listen to the Holy Spirit telling you how to love/lead your child to Christ....

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions