Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Do you have experience with CLASS or LCA?

Do you have experience with CLASS or LCA?

As we go into the 2nd semester, I feel I'm drowning trying to meet the needs of my special needs children, medical issues that a couple of my kids are dealing with, etc.

We use MFW (and have for years) and I love it so much. I'm pretty much done with the teacher directed portion in an hour, but trying to keep the different kids in different areas straight with assignments is apparently making me a little psycho (DH said this with a giant grin on his face).

So, he suggested I look at a few options. I've already asked about "umbrella schools" in another post for one child, but he thinks to have a service that helps me line out everything, keeps up with records, and even grading, will help me feel more organized and less stressed so I can focus on the medical needs of the kids who need me most.

This is hard for me because I love planning and putting things together and the MFW Manual makes it seem so simple but he's right--I'm dropping the ball somewhere.

Over the years, we've used ACE from time to time.

I like that ACE is straightforward, and the children can do the PACEs themselves, and they do retain what they learn. What I don't like is the extreme repetition. Whenever we start off with PACEs, I think it's great. After a few, it's like, please don't ever let me buy this curriculum again. Grading the PACEs seems to take forever. I know the kids are meant to do this, but mine admitted they just corrected the answer from the key and moved on.

We've used materials from CLP before. I love the variety--the kids aren't doing all workbooks, but they've struggled with the materials. MFW has always been around, so it's just a different flavor jumping from reading, hands-on activities, discussion, and a worksheet here and there to Abeka or Bob Jones textbooks. There were tears. But enrolling in something like CLASS, where I read they handle the grading, may help take some of the pressure off of me?

I have friends who have used both CLASS and LCA and they loved both for different reasons.

ETA: We've now thrown BJU's AHE with the video classes into the mix, since it's not much more than LCA.

This post was edited on Jan 08, 2017 07:12 PM

I'm a CLASS graduate. I do not believe it will take any pressure off you; quite the contrary, in fact, regrettably.

ACE's PACES (and enrollment in LCA if you'd like) would take pressure off you.

But not CLASS!!

If you want more specifics, let me know. In a nutshell -- there is no support.

re: Do you have experience with CLASS or LCA? (And MFW families, you may be able to help, too)

Mommy4Jesus, I'd love to have more specifics. I'm sitting here ready to make the jump, so yes, please help me with details. :)

In a nutshell, I have an infant, toddler, preschooler, 2 elementary children, 1 Jr. high child, and a high schooler.

5 of my kids are in therapies, and 2 have medical conditions that require extra attention.

I need something or someone who can tell me stuff like:

On this day, your 2nd, 5th, 7th, etc. grader needs to do these pages and complete this assignment.

If the service can then tackle the grading, that would be even better, especially as my Jr. High and High school students are writing essays.

School, at this point, kind of needs to be bare bones, simple, and straightforward. Perhaps MFW is what I need, but after using it so many different ways over the years, I haven't figured out how to streamline it for this particular season?

I need school to get done without extra trips to the library, outside the home activities, and field trips--those things need to be the enrichment.

A few weeks ago, I heard a workshop in which a woman said that if all we did was read biographies and autobiographies to our kids until they were in 8th grade, they would be set for high school. At this point, I'm willing and ready to see if she's right. ;)

This post was edited on Jan 08, 2017 06:08 PM

re: re: Do you have experience with CLASS or LCA? (And MFW families, you may be able to help, too)

CLASS would require MORE work from you than MFW! They don't provide any schedules, and you'd also have to learn a whole new system, submit grades and tests, and a lot more. It would be much harder.

To me this sounds like the perfect candidate for SOS/Monarch. Or ACE.

I am not a Duggar fan (I'm not not a Duggar fan either just ambivalent) but I did like when they shared about how they used SOS. The kids seem very smart and able to learn and acheive what they needed and the learning management system takes care of all the scheduling and grading. You would probably have to do over-rides for misspellings especially if you have struggling spellers, but to me that is not too much to do, compared with managing so many different aspects of different kids.

Now that said, ACE is in a way a lot easier because it doesn't have the problem of technology. Technology can be super frustrating if you or your kids don't have hte type of personality to figure it out, learn the system and then go with it. SOS would have a learning curve for everyone, and you'd probably need at least one techie in the house willing to install, deal with system issues, do overrides and help others when they just don't want to figure it out.

My dd uses ACE for one subject and I have to say,it is wonderful. Everything moves exactly at the pace she needs (no pun intended) and everything builds on itself. There are no surprises, nothing is confusing and nothing is objectionable. The quizzes / tests are INSIDE the PACE itself! The ACE English Literature choices are pretty lame, but you can read excellent literature all day long. In high school they ramp up and study harder stuff. My dd loves ACE and we plan to use it from now on for everything we aren't outsourcing.

OH you should know that ACE cartoons have some, well, non PC things going on.( a fat boy called Chubs, black people are only ever shown with other black people, Christie the main female character is afraid of bugs, snakes, etc.) But you can just discuss that when your dc hit the logic stage. My dd just rolls her eyes at that. But overall she loves the cartoons even at 13 :)

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

We just threw BJU's video program into the ring, since they have a current $99 sale (online lessons only, no texts). I thought it might give me a chance to see what it's like.

When I read the sample, it looks like it's well organized, self-grading, and the student accesses the lessons by day/date and the program walks them through the lessons.

It's also not much more expensive than LCA's program. I bought one, and as soon as they send me the log-in info, I'm going to see how my children work with it.

Calming Tea,

We tried Monarch years ago, when it first came out. I had a free trial code back then, and we hated it. There were so many glitches. Maybe they've made some improvements since? I'll go take a look. Thanks.

In a nutshell, I have an infant, toddler, preschooler, 2 elementary children, 1 Jr. high child, and a high schooler.

5 of my kids are in therapies, and 2 have medical conditions that require extra attention.

I need something or someone who can tell me stuff like:

On this day, your 2nd, 5th, 7th, etc. grader needs to do these pages and complete this assignment.

If the service can then tackle the grading, that would be even better, especially as my Jr. High and High school students are writing essays.

School, at this point, kind of needs to be bare bones, simple, and straightforward.

^^^^

Oh, CalmingTea said it so well. :)

All of what you describe above is NOT going to happen with CLASS.

You'll get a box of books and workbooks and test packets, and it'll be up to you to schedule ALL of that, including figuring out what pp. to study to before the test; where to schedule reviews; and so forth. They ALSO require a LOT of work to be mailed in. That necessitates postage, plus copying the work so you have a back-up copy. They don't as a rule evaluate all the writing; they will evaluate something with a separate fee ($20 if memory serves me). They don't provide any extra help with advanced maths and sciences (except algebra). For us, for example, using ABeka's distance academy, we can call in as often as we like to their toll free number and be walked step by step through a problem. If you have any other questions other than what I mentioned here, let me know. :)

In your situation, I think honestly my first suggestion would be ACE.

I have known of some folks who used SOS (and know of the Duggars who use it), so that's an option, though as CT said, then there's the potential for a technology glitch. Hopefully that's not too common, I'm assuming (?) since it's so popular and well known. :)

If you feel comfortable with BJU's program, then that would certainly be an option that would come alongside you. (I have heard -- don't know personally -- that there's a lot of printing out needed and a lot of grading, but I might have mis-heard that.)

And finally, another option would be ABeka's DVDs or internet streaming option. (My high schoolers LOVE being enrolled with ABeka. And you can use it w/o necessarily being enrolled, too.)

If you wanted to take that reading of biographies and autobiographies route that your friend mentioned, my only personal opinion with that would be to have a math program per child and a grammar program per child, so that they were incrementally climbing the ladder of skills-based subjects (math and English). The content areas are easier to "pick up" via reading.

Hope that helps! :)

We tried Monarch years ago,

^^

If I'm not mistaken (??) there's a difference between Monarch and SOS. I mean -- same company and curriculum, but something different between the two. I don't know....maybe Monarch is the updated version of SOS. But I thought they were two separate options.

ETA:
Oh, okay, I did a little searching and here's a good explanation of the differences:
http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/grade-level-packages/preschool-through-grade-8/switched-on-schoolhouse-and-monarch

Basically, Monarch is online, so I could see where you might have had glitches. But SOS isn't, so it may be more straightforward.

This post was edited on Jan 08, 2017 09:52 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions