Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Acellus Academy and Accreditation Questions

Acellus Academy and Accreditation Questions

Has anyone heard of or used this online program for high school?

I am also wondering about accredited programs for high school. Do you think accreditation is important for college acceptance?

re: Acellus Academy and Accreditation Questions

I also am wondering if any other families have had experience with Acellus Academy? If so how was your experience? I am {still} looking for something for my 9th grade daughter and 7th grade son and Acellus popped up. Looks interesting. If we end up needing to transition them into traditional school my husband would like for them to be apart of something that is accredited since he feels it will be scrutinized less. Hoping for some information from any who may have tried Acellus out already. Thank you in advanced!!

nm... :)

This post was edited on Aug 31, 2015 05:37 PM

Is it 100% online or are there any hands-on components? It's hard to tell what the whole program includes on the website.

Never heard of it.

Colleges rarely care if applicants graduated from accredited high schools.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page it talks a bit about their accreditation.

http://www.acellus.com/info/middle-school.html#how_it_works

On the right side of this page it say they are accredited.

https://www.acellus.com/enroll/academy.php

"If we end up needing to transition them into traditional school my husband would like for them to be apart of something that is accredited since he feels it will be scrutinized less."

Didn't answer this question. :-)

So, you're thinking that your dc might go back to school?

If they try to enroll at the high school level above 9th grade, it is probable that none of the credits they earned at home will be accepted. It isn't impossible or unheard of; it's just not very common. That the school they were enrolled in was accredited has very little bearing on the decision. The usual recommendation is to either start high school at 9th grade, when there would not be any credits earned yet, or homeschool until the dc are graduated.

I just wanted to add, that we have lots of friends who homeschool and many of them do in fact place their kids back into high school at some point. None of them have had any issues with courses being credited. If there is any question, they can take a placement test for that particular subject. Not sure where you live, that all courses would be worth no credit at all? That is actually pretty rare. I don't think accredited will help or hurt. I know for our kids, it did not matter when they applied to colleges. I don't know about high school though.

You can always call the school board or actual high school and ask questions up front, so there are no surprises, if you do decide to send them back to school.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions