Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

High school English components

High school English components

Going eclectic, we have chosen Essentials in Writing and now have to figure out the other pieces of our English 1 credit.
I've hemmed and hawed over Progeny Press OR BJU Literature (w/DVD or without).

I've also wondered if Ultimate Daily Grams will be enough grammar review for high school.
Writing is the area we need the most work, so I'm grateful
to have a solid resource for that area.

What are YOU using for high school English (and what do you like about your choices)?

Thanks for sharing.
Michelle32

re: High school English components

My freshman will be doing Essentials in Writing 9, Easy Grammar Ultimate, and Progeny Press Literature for the 1st semester. That is a full English credit by itself, but I'm still on the fence about 'beefing up' the literature and doing CLE literature (1/2 of the first book) second semester.

My upcoming freshman will be doing:

Writing: The Power in Your Hands
Literature: Abeka
Grammar: Easy Grammar Ultimate
Vocab/Roots: Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder

I chose that writing because it looks very user friendly, independent, and he liked that option the best. I chose Abeka literature over BJU for price and lighter load. I chose the grammar because I wanted to spend less time on that and focus on writing this year.

I haven't looked at Abeka's high school literature, but I liked the middle school years. It was very easy to use.
I don't like Abeka or BJU lit. tests though.

How do you grade your English components?
Are some things just for review and ungraded?

We're going to have AVKO Spelling going (not seen on transcript) because DS needs more. We hope to finish all
seven levels by soph/jr. year.

I'm not sure we'll continue with Wordly Wise.

Michelle32

How do you grade your English components?
Are some things just for review and ungraded?
I'm pretty sure PP and EIW both have suggestions and/or rubrics for grading. I'll have to double check. For Easy Grammar, I did buy the tests and will use those for grading.

I'm not doing any grammar in high school. We've completed R&S English and I think she has a very good grasp on grammar.

Our focus is writing and literature.

Components include...

IEW Elegant Essay (1st semester)
Research Paper Class (Local co-op 2nd semester)
IEW Fix-It (daily editing practice)
Ancient Literature from a list I made. She'll do four study guides. The rest of the book she will just read and do literary analysis writing.

This post was edited on Jul 08, 2013 10:56 AM

Michelle, have you looked at Christian Liberty Press' test packets? They use Abeka & BJU Literature but make their own tests.

This post was edited on Jul 08, 2013 10:58 AM

My dd just finished her freshman year. Her english components:
Easy Grammar Ultimate- very quick and easy review of grammar

Progeny Press literature guides-love the biblical emphasis, the questions really made her think. Able to pick and choose which books we want to study.

IEW SWI B Cont. Course- My dd enjoys Andrew Pudewa's teaching style and humor. She knows exactly what to do and what is expected. I like that I don't have to teach it, and like the checklist sheets for grading her work.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions