Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: A group of atheist planning to protest the Texas hs convention

re: re: A group of atheist planning to protest the Texas hs convention

>>Didn't the Puritans bring over the Geneva Bible with them?
-------------------------
Hhmmm... I think it's the opposite? The Puritans attempted to remain in the State Church to "purify" or reform it, while the Separatists/Christian Pilgrims (which also included Reformed Baptists, btw) knew that wouldn't happen and completely separated. The Separatists were the most persecuted, so I *believe* they were the ones who used the Geneva Bible rather than the KJV.

I could have that wrong, though..... I wonder where our Geneva Bible is. I think it gives the history in the front pages there.

I don't have a Geneva Bible (yet), but I found the introduction online. Here is a quote:
"Despite the uncertainty of the Geneva Bible being the first English Bible brought to American soil, it is certain the Geneva Bible became the spiritual foundation for the future United States of America. Though earlier temporary colonies may have used other Bibles, the Geneva Bible was most likely the Bible of Jamestown, and clearly the Bible of the Pilgrims and the Puritans. "
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/geneva_bible.htm

".....the Geneva Bible was most likely the Bible of Jamestown, and clearly the Bible of the Pilgrims and the Puritans. "
----------------------------
I don't know about Jamestown, but I know it wasn't the Bible of BOTH the Pilgrims and Puritans. These two groups disagreed on some very important points. In fact, many of the Puritans then began to persecute the "other" Christians who were here in those early days.... just as they themselves had been persecuted in England. I think the idea of a State Church had been SO ingrained into them for SO long that they really thought it was right. You had to be baptized as an infant just to be able to be a "legal" member of society, participate in politics, buy land, or anything else! The Puritans just thought that the WAY the Church of England did things (theologically and within their services) was wrong. That's why they tried to stay in the CoE and "purify" it for so long before giving up and coming over here.

But then they proceeded to try to establish a State Church here, too.

The Pilgrims were made up several different groups, mostly Christian, but some not. (That's the reason I used the term "Separatists" earlier instead of "Pilgrims".) Anyway, THEY wanted nothing at all to do with the CoE, so it would make sense that they would refuse to use the KJV if something else were available. The Geneva Bible is older than the KJV.

I need to go find ours and just look it up!

Okay, so apparently some or all of the *original* Puritans must have had the Geneva Bible, as well. I found two other websites that seem to confirm that. It looks like the KJV may have come with John Alden, who served as a carpenter on the Mayflower. But most of the Pilgrims/Separatists had the Geneva Bible.

Jamestown was too early for the KJV.

http://www.visionforumministries.org/issues/news_and_reports/the_history_and_impact_of_the.aspx

http://manifoldgreatness.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/the-first-king-james-bible-in-america/

The first link gives the full history of the Geneva Bible and WHY King James wanted a different translation written in the first place. I thought this part of that article was significant:

QUOTE:
"The Geneva Bible significantly assisted the creation of the modern English language—the lingua franca of today’s world. William Tyndale’s linguistic genius and the poetic mastery of Miles Coverdale’s earlier translation of the Poetic Books are widely credited with sparking the English literary excellence of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries: the Geneva Bible was the Bible of William Shakespeare, John Milton, John Bunyan, the Puritans (considered history’s greatest expositors), and the Pilgrims who sailed to America. It was the Bible that John Rolfe likely would have used in the conversion of Pocahontas at Jamestown in 1611.

The impact of the annotations and commentary in the Geneva Bible cannot be underestimated. The Calvinist notes of the Geneva Bible infuriated King James I at Hampton Court in 1604, prompting him to authorize a group of Puritan scholars to produce a version of the Bible without annotation for him; ironically, the excellent Authorized Version might never have been written were it not for King James’s antipathy toward the Geneva Bible.

The marginal notes of the Geneva Bible present a systematic Biblical worldview centered on the Sovereignty of God over all of His creation including churches and kings. This unique Biblical emphasis, though fraught with dangers beyond spiritual debates (i.e., political and social pressure), was one of John Calvin’s great contributions to the English Reformers. For example, the marginal note in the Geneva Bible for Exodus 1:9 indicated that the Hebrew midwives were correct to disobey the Egyptian rulers. King James called such interpretations “seditious.” The tyrant knew that if the people could hold him accountable to God’s Word, his days as a king ruling by “Divine Right” were numbered, but Calvin and the Reformers defended the clear meaning of Scripture against whims of king or popes. Thus did the Geneva Bible begin the unstoppable march to liberty in England, Scotland, and America."
:END QUOTE

I am totally exhausted so I will make this another quick reply while my Sleepytime steeps.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. While I don't agree with most of what was said concerning translations, I do agree that the word *generation* in this case carries the meaning it had back then. I also believe that we need to always ( no matter what we are reading) consider context.

Thanks again!

Very interesting quote from the Genevea Bible, K! I've always wanted to get one of those to add to my Bible collection. I had never ever heard of the Geneva Bible before studying history through homeschooling my own children. Sad, I know. ...And I was brought up in Christian schools most of my life.

Kayrenee, looks like you posted that history while I was still reading the other post above that and I never saw it. I find it interesting that KJ was upset with the notes, but not the actual Bible.

>>Very interesting quote from the Genevea Bible, K! I've always wanted to get one of those to add to my Bible collection. I had never ever heard of the Geneva Bible before studying history through homeschooling my own children. Sad, I know. ...And I was brought up in Christian schools most of my life.
--------------------------------
Well, we had been in many different churches, missionary circles, and even Bible college circles, and we didn't know a *fraction* of it until we started studying it on our own through homeschooling. This is a problem when even the churches and Christian leaders are either so dumbed down themselves that THEY don't know (and therefore can't teach it), or they know but don't like it, so keep it to themselves. (I say this not only about general Bible knowledge, or the Geneva Bible in particular, but also history/church history and language skills.)

Susie, yes, that was interesting. The KJV language wasn't actually *that* different from the Geneva Bible. One website I found had a link to the book of Romans in the Geneva Bible. I printed out some of it (since I can't find our own Geneva... I think it must still be packed in a box from our last move) because I'd like to sit down and compare it word for word with the KJV.

Even more interesting would be to compare the study notes in the Geneva with the notes in a study Bible of a different persuasion (doctrinal beliefs). ;o)

12345678910...Last

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions