Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Institute for Excellence in Writing

Institute for Excellence in Writing

So I have a question about this program, or rather the author. I've looked at it for a long time and really like it. Checked out the reviews for it and they seem to all be glowing as well. But then I just happened to look further into the about us section and noticed that in the author's bio there's no mention of an actual degree in anything, let alone writing. So I am wondering how he arrived at his expertise. I do not want to disparage the man in any way and am sure that the program is everything it claims to be! I guess it just made me curious...
I'd still love to order it for this year and give it a try.

re: Institute for Excellence in Writing

I think he originally was a music teacher. Here is the history:
http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/page/history-institute-excellence-writing

I actually like his story. It kind of reminds me of us--homeschoolers learning to teach something well in an area in which we have no degree.

I've heard him speak live. He's the real deal!

I've heard him speak twice (at home school conferences). All you'd have to do is hear him speak once or twice and you'd be convinced that he is a genius. Like the pp said, he's the real deal.

Sometimes those official "professional" documents and "qualifications" mean nothing to the real quality of teaching. I've seen some very "qualified" music teachers in my journey to find a violin teacher for my dd as well as to teach our band students in our music organization, and they turned out to be some of the worst teachers ever. :-/ It really opened my eyes not to depend too heavily on that alone as an indicator of what you're gonna get.

In fact, I see this a lot in many professional realms. Don't get me started in talking about medical field...

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions