Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Foreign language choices? For high school (keniki, help please)

Foreign language choices? For high school (keniki, help please)

Which choices are worthy of hs credit?

For instance, I see keniki adding mfw lesson plans to Rosetta Stone -what is the benefit there?

I am not sure if we will do foreign language this year or next...can you help me get some perspective here please?

This post was edited on Apr 29, 2013 10:02 PM

re: Foreign language choices? For high school (keniki, help please)

The first thing you need to do is figure out what language you want to learn.

If it's Spanish, then you have thousands of more choices than any other language.

BJU
A Beka
Rosetta Stone Homeschool
SOS/Life Pacs

We've used the above and all were fine. There are a ton of other options.

For Mandarin Chinese we've used Rosetta Stone and BetterChinese.com. Both are excellent and do the job.

We've quit using any of the Rosetta Stone products because they keep crashing on our computers. I do not know why this is happening. Their customer service takes forever to help so we just haven't had the time to explore what is going on. I've also read that their products are crashing many computers now. It's really sad because it was my favorite way to learn foreign languages.

For instance, I see keniki adding mfw lesson plans to Rosetta Stone -what is the benefit there?*

I'm not keniki. I've used RS with the mfw plans. My computer doesn't crash. sorry to hear that story from other poster. ((hugs)

The benefit to mfw credit plans is that it makes it a complete HS credit course instead of just a language lab portion of the course. You add in some grammar via Charlotte Mason narration/dictation methods. You get to do other activities and readings. It kicks it up from language lab to course level. not tons and tons of extra work with it. But with the plans and the appendix activities, you get a fuller course with things that otherwise are missing. Those plans were developed and written by a mfw part time staff person who has years of classroom teaching in Spanish at high school and community college level. I know that person and his wife in real life and they are not super rigor tiger parents. So.. yeah.. uhmm.. something must be missing from RS only.

I know in some places, school systems use RS as lab only and say you have to do more than just the computer aspect.

Ok I got it. Thanks for the help!

Cbollin said it for me. I think she was the one who told me that before and convinced me (without even trying, lol) to add the MFW plans. I was able to get them from a friend, so I've looked at them already, and it looks fun. They even have us looking for books at the library to supplement, and some of it is even cookbooks and cooking meals from that country. If you want, I can go through the lesson plan book and share some of the extra ideas to give you an idea of what it would add.

they have a sample of the planner.... shows at least some of the appendix activities (called real life activities)... not the complete list of course. here's the link... to help a little...

https://www.mfwbooks.com/inc/pdf/RS_sample.pdf

We will be using The Easy Spanish for dd's ninth grade. It looks to be a really good intro to the language! I am excited about it and I think dd will enjoy it.

After that I have no idea what we will use. : ) I am trying to take homeschooling year by year.

My oldest is doing Rosetta Stone w/MFW lesson plans. She likes it okay, but what we've found this year is that she has too much "unit studyish" type things going and it's really bogging her down. With unit studies (or unit studyish type stuff), we have to literally count every minute to make sure she's doing enough to count as a credit. It's taking her way longer to complete some subjects that way than if she were just doing a textbook (for example), because she completes assignments pretty quickly. She's asked me to find a textbook style Spanish course for her to complete, or else she's going to run out of time and not get her two full credits of foreign language in. Then she can use RS as supplemental a few times a week, when she's got her textbook assignments done for the day.

Now I don't blame RS for this. We started too late (finances were an issue for a long time), and if this were elementary or even middle school, I wouldn't care so much about the exact times. It would probably be quite enjoyable if she weren't 11th grade and under pressure to get a lot of things done (not just foreign language). So if you really want something well-defined with less of a unit study feel, go with a textbook publisher. Otherwise, RS is great. (We haven't had any computer crashing problems yet, but she's still only on level 1, so it could be that it just hasn't happened yet but is going to. LOL)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions