Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math Lessons for a Living Education?

Math Lessons for a Living Education?

Has anyone used this? What did you think of it?

re: Math Lessons for a Living Education?

I am currently using this with my dd. She has had math phobia for so long, no matter what we have used UNLESS it was a hands on game OR something in story form a brick wall would suddenly appear. She understands, but she would just shut down.

Life of Fred has been magic for her! But continuing with it would be a very costly endeavor, so I looked for another path. In walks MLFALE. I put my nearly 8 yo dd all the way back in book 1 so she could gain confidence and just simply relax. (you know, the way some folks de-school after leaving the public system.) So right now she is flying thru bk 1 and LOVING it! It is not a challenge in the least yet (because of her age). But it is what she needs now. I think this book would be precious and perfect for 1st grade. We enjoy the stories (where Fred keeps us laughing, these are just plane sweet) and dd relates to what the grandparents teach the twins. The way place value is taught is with the Place Value Village (just like Arithmetic Village). There is plenty of copy work of numbers (such as 0-10 or 20-29, etc) . Sometimes your child will have to get up from his or her seat to do a lesson. For instance: Find 1 of something and draw it, find 2 of something and draw it, all the way to 9. They suggest making RIGHT brained flash cards ---THIS would have eliminated many of my dd's problems! These are illustrated with pics you and your child draw OR with stickers, AND include the answers so they get a snap shot of the whole thing in their brain instead of 6+2= nothing. The creation of these cards begins in lesson (week) 14 I think.

My dd is flying thru bk1 and will be finished with it in a few weeks. Then she will slow down in bk 2 as that is where she should be. I will post about it when I find it. SIgh. I have organized my books very nicely. So nicely infact, that I just organized the math right out of my sight. Gracious!

Thank you so much! How do you find the review? Do they give a fairly good amount of review for each new concept introduced?
Our son (finishing K) is struggling with MCP math, there's just not enough review.

There are review weeks geared to review specifically one concept such as addition, or shapes, etc. The review, when possible, what will be covered in a variety of ways so as to help the child to see the concept better. Example: review week for addition you will see where the child is to play hopscotch with addition problems in the squares and making and addition poster using clip art to create equations showing what the child has learned.

Throughout the book concepts are reviewed, but not in a way like R&S. In other words you won't find pages and pages of problems to do with number bonds/triplets.

Lessons can look like this:

Lesson 8 (week 8) Exercise 1 (day 1)
~~Have your child use their place value village and mat to practice counting up to 20. Have them tell you what they are doing.
~~ Copywork of numbers 10-15
~~Use number cards 0-20 and place numbers in order

Lesson 25 Exercise 1
~~It talks about how we learned there are 60 mins in 1 hour and each number stands for 5 mins. Review counting by 5s on your clock. Finish assembling clock.
~~Answers questions about the clock (hands)
~~More conversation about the hour hand and the min hand and what they mean. Sample clocks are shown. Practice moving the hands as directed.
~~6 addition practice problems
~~Practice with flash cards you and the child created.

So you can see from these lessons review is built in, but it is not the sort that will take the child an hour to complete. Only a few minutes of very effective practice using hands on, stories and some problems on paper.

Have you seen this page:

http://www.angelaodell.com/math-lessons-for-a-living-education/

It has the best samples I have seen. And the TOC

I love the way the lessons vary and how they are not overload. I love that they are not boring, but grabs the child's attention. I appreciate the what the characters stay the same with each book, but the theme changes (from book to book). Bk 1 the kids are visiting the grandparents on the farm. Bk 2 they are home with a new baby (picture those math lessons --weighing the baby and such). Book 3 they are on vacation in So Am, and Bk 4, if I remember correctly , they are on a mission trip. The student is drawn into the lesson in a natural way.

Still looking for book 2.

Thank you, I really appreciate your reviews. I went ahead and ordered book 1 from Rainbow Resource to try. I think it sounds like what we need - something to allow us a step back, gentle approach, some hands on applications etc...

Your welcome!
If you have any questions I will do my best.

The printable manipulatives are in the back of the book. I just make copies on spring-looking colored paper and placed in page protectors then in a folder with a flip pocket. The pocket I used to store the small pieces like number cards and days of the week cards.

We are just using the Arithmetic Village gems (floral or aquarium glass stones) in place of beans or buttons because we already have them.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions