Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Chemistry 101 with DVDs

Chemistry 101 with DVDs

Throwing this out there again......hoping to get more feedback from someone who has used this. I think it looks great......okay, as great as it can look for Chemistry. lol

re: Chemistry 101 with DVDs

Were you the one who a couple of us responded to about this a week or so ago? Sorry I don't remember who it was... I just remember sharing our experience, and I know someone else did, too. If that wasn't you, maybe do a quick search for it? It was very recent.

It was me.......just looking for more responses. I am very impressed with the program. Are you the one who just bought it but has not used it yet?

No, I think that was Kerby.

I'm the one who bought it and hadn't used it yet. We watched the intro this week and I like the looks of it. DS is very visual so it looks like a good fit. I haven't gotten into it enough to know much more - but so far, so good. The guy talking is engaging, it has good visuals, looks to honor God, has reasonable amt of info. I don't see anything about hands-on stuff. I'll keep in touch as we go. I have a workbook from Mark Twain/Carson Dellosa for another ds for life science. They have one for chemistry that looks like a good supplement to the Chem 101 video if you want to add something to make it a more complete course. One of the disks in the Chem 101 set has a guidebook and quizzes. Haven't looked at it, checking it out this weekend.

Hands-on stuff is there, Bamamom. You'll get to it. :o)

Is there a list of resource/book recommendations? Or do you just use what you have or go to the library?

We used this DVD this year. We also used Biology 101 last year, and supplimented with the Abeka Bio textbook, among other things.

For this year, we just watched the DVDs, and now DS is using Homeschool Helper: Chemistry for a text. It's very concise and well written.

The Chem 101 DVDs were better than I was expecting. It's so much more than just a history of chemistry and an overview of the periodic table of elements. Those two things are jumping points for explaining chemistry concepts and facts. The series really was quite good.

We finished the DVD's in one semester because I had planned on DS taking Intro to Chem at the community college this spring; however, I felt that DS still needed more of the math before taking a CC class. That's what he's getting in the Homeschool Helper (here at home.) We used the ACE Chemistry DVD of labs. I'm not sure that that is the best way to cover the need for labs. You may want to get a hands-on kit, or follow the labs in Chem 101's syllabus (although they seem a little juvenile.)

Sorry, I'm a little rushed in typing out this info. If you have questions, just ask.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions