Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anybody use Chemistry 101??

Anybody use Chemistry 101??

Is it enough for a high school credit? Likes/dislikes???

re: Anybody use Chemistry 101??

My 11th grader *just* started this. She's only on lesson 2, but for high school credit, you definitely need to use the lesson plans that are on pdf on the last disk. It is very light otherwise. VERY light. In fact, I was disappointed when I first started looking at it because, even though we didn't want something intense, I didn't want it THAT light, either. I was afraid I was going to have buy either Apologia or Abeka after all, at least for her to read through in addition to what's in Chem 101.

But then after I got to looking at the specifics of the lesson plans for older kids, I felt better about it. Dd is enjoying it so far and she really likes the instructor on the videos. There's additional reading and research recommended, too, so your high schooler needs to do that. There's also some recommended field trips which actually look pretty interesting!

There's also some recommended field trips which actually look pretty interesting!
Could you tell us about some of the field trips? I looked at the biology one, and I thought some of the field trips were given an overly gracious amount of time credit and others just weren't feasible for our location.

I have thought about pairing this with the PacWorks Chemistry paces.

Can you give me an idea of what is in those lesson plans for high school? Are experiments on the dvds?

I have thought about pairing this with the PacWorks Chemistry paces. -------

This is what we're going to do for my ds for next year. I already have the Chem 101 videos, which I'm going to have my oldest senior dd just watch this year to get some basics. She doesn't need a Chem credit necessarily, as she's doing advanced biology instead, but I still wanted her to have some foundational understanding of chemistry before she graduates. Plus, the videos are somewhat entertaining and engaging.

My ds is currently just watching the Bio 101 videos to enhance his A Beka Biology course, and it really does help to tie it all together for him. He would not do well with the open-ended course of doing the Bio 101 lessons plans alone, though. He needs something that's broken down lesson by lesson with clear objectives, so using the videos for supplementary purposes works best for him.

I think these "101" courses work best for the child who is naturally inclined to research, self-teach, and get creative about their learning. There is definitely enough in the suggestions per the lessons plans to make the course credit-worthy if you are willing to do the leg-work to find the resources needed and have the motivation to pull it all together. My oldest probably could have done this. However, *I* prefer to have a main spine resource of some sort that walks us through things in a more sequential format.

Thanks for that explanation. I don't think it would work for us. Dd would not like researching all the time. She likes to "get it done", especially with science.

Hmmm.........what else is there? Abeka.......using it this year for Physical......some chapters are tough (the chemistry/physics ones). BJU....out of the question without the dvd teacher and don't want to spend the time or money on that. ACE.......used it for Biology, but I don't she learned a thing that year. ;( Apologia.......wordy which might be a good thing, but she would benefit from more written work to remember things. Plus........I like having some sort of dvd for labs.......I don't want my kitchen turned into a science lab. :) SOS......just not sure about a computer program. I like to have a book in hand. Anything I am missing????

My 11th grader is using this but is only on Segment 3, so not that far into it. So far, he enjoys it in that he says the videos are entertaining. He and his sister (who is not using this program) have been in the kitchen a few times doing an experiment. It was a very simple experiment that did not make a mess or anything.

I print out the segment chapter from the pdf guidebook each week along with the checklist. He does not complete everything on the list. There does not need to be researching all the time. When it gets to the research part, he gets online and reads a little about the topic and writes a paragraph about it with just the key points explained in his own words as much as possible, just to show understanding has occurred. It's not a big deal at all.

There's a quiz at the end of each segment. He's done well on the first two.

Field trips and extra lit are not things we feel we *must* do, unless it's feasible for us. We don't stress about this.

As I said on another thread, this child of mine is not university bound so this is only for exposure. I will title this "Intro to Chemistry" on his transcript and call it good. If your child needs an honest-to-goodness, hardcore, super lab heavy Chem course, I would not suggest this as a stand-alone. If your child needs something to put on a transcript and something for exposure, this would be fine, as long as you use it to suit your circumstances.

With this particular child, I don't attempt those heavy courses if I know *in advance* that he is unable to do them and also that they will be put on a transcript but he won't remember a thing from them. I'd rather he have something like this where he actually remembers stuff, even if it might not meet the standards of others who want or need to pursue a more rigorous course.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions