Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Simply Charlotte Mason

Simply Charlotte Mason

Something about that "place" just makes me feel calm and peaceful!

Every time.

Whether I am looking for something specific or just to realign my thoughts on what we are, or will, be doing, I always step away from there feeling just so at peace.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? :)

~Rosie

re: Simply Charlotte Mason

Hi Rosie! Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I've actually been looking there for the last year or so and until I really started digging into it and understanding it, it was very intimidating. I thought I needed the structure of a boxed curriculum but what I found it over the last three years is that that actually tended to put me in a constant stressed out mode...always trying to keep up and catch up...and to stick with someone else's plan. I decided this coming year to give SCM a try but didn't really know how to get started or how to implement everything. So I ordered SCM All Day Seminar, Boks and Things Seminar, and the Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education CD and workbook. I've completed the all day seminar ... which was awesome and calmed me about what I was about to delve into. Now, I'm going through the planning cd and workbook...love it so far! I've now figured out which books I will use and have figured out which ones are free online, at the library, new/used prices...I'm so excited because I thought I would have to spend somewhere around $ 1,000 to bring all those books together but after a day or two of research and writing all down, my total curriculum bill will be between $400-550. This is less than I spent last year on only half the amount of materials. I'm so excited for that and the fact that teaching and learning will be fun and much more calming.

I am curious about what others have thought about switching from a math program that doesn't use manipulatives to a program that is all about using manipulatives. I want to make that change but I am nervous because what if my ds does not adapt. I can't just spend more money on another program, they're too expensive. Anyone have an opinion on this or some advice?

I am a very eclectic, Charlotte Mason, and unit study type, except for math. I am very old school math. Ray's arithmetic and R&S. I don't think you have to be all one way or another. I just do what works.

Yes. Anything Charlotte Mason seems peaceful to me.

Going back to the struggle I that I posted about earlier.....maybe I am simply trying to hard to make our school look like "everyone else's". Maybe what we are doing *is* schooling.....all those rich books we read, all those life experiences, all the crazy grammar sprinkled throughout. Math is a constant.

If I get to feeling really overwhelmed, I sit down with my Charlotte Mason Companion.

I need to get my Charlotte Mason Companion out again...thanks for the reminder.

I absolutely love it there! my problem is that, as much as I love it, I can never seem to implement it :0(

I love that website and Charlotte Mason. I love the fact that reading is so versatile. This year we chose to use FIAR which is unit study but I personally think its a mix. We will also be using a lot of SCM's book suggestions along the way...

Their business math program is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Get it!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions