Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What's your favorite phonics program/ teach reading?

re: What's your favorite phonics program/ teach reading?

I am not sure if Funnix is by the people who wrote 100 Easy Lessons or not. I know that I had that book one time, and I hated it. If this is the same concept, they at least improved the layout to make it more user friendly and more appealing. I never actually used it, though so I don't know. The author's name is Siegfried Engelmann, not sure if I spelled that right.

Hmmm...let me think...favorite phonics/teach reading...Oh, I KNOW, I KNOW!!!

SPALDING!!!

Favorite phoics/teaching reading method for children with any kind of learning issues...Oh, I KNOW, I KNOW!!!

SPALDING!!!

Uh, yes, that would be my recommendation. Check it out at spalding.org. :-)

I love and use Abeka with mine. BUT for dd (our 4th) when she stalled out at long sounds, I chose to use Institute for Excellence's PAL Reading written by Jill Pike who says some of hers have dyslexic tendencies. It blends phonics in with a very special visual presentation. I love the way she put together the Sticker Farm Folder--very helpful. She had a unique presentation. There is a IEW yahoo group that Jill Pike is very active at and answers many questions on PAL implementation.

You can see samples at Institute of Excellence for Writing.

It was a great fit. Very gentle and yet fun. We only used it through lesson 60 as dd had really caught on and then we went on with ABeka 1st grade. I use the workbooks and the color coded flashcards for the special sounds. I also have the audio cd with the corresponding charts.

Best to you as you figure out the best fit for your dc.

I used Hooked on Phonics (now called "Classic", lol). I used this by itself w/my oldest child and as a reading center with my middle child.

I also used SSR&W (which was TONS of fun) but I didn't have my children do all the writing (overkill!). This was the "meat" of my middle child's reading program and the only thing I used w/my youngest child.

Just recently I have used Happy Phonics. The price is GREAT!

I think all of them are good programs that will get your child reading. The prices of all of them are different and so is the methodology. I don't like the ba, be, bi, bo, bu that SSR&W uses as well as I like the way HOP and HP teach blending, but... both methods worked!

Abeka's Handbook for Reading along with the teacher's edition and charts. These dovetail nicely together.
You could use the Handbook alone just snuggled up
practicing out loud too. DD likes workbooks, so she enjoyed the phonics workbook that went with.

HTh,
Michelle32

Ellie - ROFL!! When I saw this thread, I thought, "wonder if Ellie mentioned Spalding?"

you crack me up!

Okay, now that you kind people have responded with such a wealth of information, I feel I should give a little more info about my ds. Ds turned 8 in March. I didn't start kindergarten with him until he was six. I did use HOP with him--either a preschool level or K. He really liked that, but it was easy for him and I wondered if it would be complete enough for him. We have been s-l-o-w-ly working through the 4 workbooks for Horizons K. We are not even done with the first one! He would love to advance (2-3rd grade), but a lot of writing really frustrates and slows him down. We have used Abeka when a friend let us borrow her DVDs to see if this was a good option for him. It was good and thorough, but he got tired of the be bi ba bu Bo mentioned by pp. Yet, the stories in the readers were difficult for him compared with the Horizons stories. He doesn't mind diacritical markings etc., but he does want to be reading out of a reader, or some other book. The Abeka DVDs were for second grade, but they were the beginning of the year. So, I like Abeka for the completeness of it, but HOP was really the program he most enjoyed. I'm still looking at the info on the other programs people mentioned. OMT, I'm not great with a lot of different programs or parts of programs--tend to lose things if I have too many different parts to work with. That's why I haven't used AAS with him--2 year old would be all over those tiles and that's a headache I'm trying to avoid!

Honestly, from what you just said, I think he would enjoy doing ETC. I would simply have him do maybe 3 or so pages from ETC each day, and in addition to that read with him. You really will cover everything if you do this approach. It sounds like he would like to just be reading "real" books. It will be easy for each of you to accomplish this each day.

You know, "way back when" they use to just wait until children were 8-10 years old and then just teach them to read from the Bible, and a McGuffey reader! I think we start our kids too early these days and them get so caught up in every little step along the way. Yes, phonics is very important, BUT I think that teaching phonics doesn't have to be the long, labored process that we sometimes turn it into.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions