Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: Spalding spelling method for 12yo?

Spalding spelling method for 12yo?

Would you use spalding for a 12yo? Would that be "The Writing Road to Reading?" Is there a spalding program for older students?

re: Spalding spelling method for 12yo?

"Would you use spalding for a 12yo? Would that be "The Writing Road to Reading?" Is there a spalding program for older students? "

Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual.

I would absolutely do Spalding with a 12yo. The difference between doing Spalding with a younger dc and an older dc is that you can move more quickly with an older dc. :-)

re: Spalding spelling method for 12yo?

I was hoping you'd post EMJ! I've avoided WRTR because I've read that there is quite a time commitment and I wasn't sure that *I* was up for it. But dd's spelling is off the charts and she seems to have little phonemic awareness. I'm thinking that WRTR would be a help with this, yes?

I've asked this before but I'll ask again: other than the manual, what else would I need to buy?

This post was edited on Mar 13, 2012 09:43 PM

*Spalding* would definitely help (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual).

To teach Spalding, you need the manual, a set of phonogram cards, and a spelling notebook. I'm sort of leaning towards recommending the fifth edition *and* the fourth edition of the manual (as opposed to the fifth edition of the manual plus a teacher guide). The fifth edition has wonderful charts and sample dialogues and so on, but the fourth edition has Chapter VI, which explains how to teach in different grade levels. That information is included in each teacher guide, but the manual is much less expensive than the TG. :-)

When I did Spalding in my little one-room school, all of the children improved by 2 or 3 grade levels, at least, by the end of the school year.

One other question: does the child have to change their handwriting style to use spalding? This could be really challenging at 12 yo!

Also, I just checked on amazon and there is also a 6th edition. Do you have the scoop on this ed?

This post was edited on Mar 14, 2012 12:34 PM

re: re: re: Spalding spelling method for 12yo?

I have not yet seen the sixth edition. I guess I should do that. :-)

No, your dc wouldn't have to change penmanship styles. :-)

I just ordered a used copy of 4th ed. and am trying to decide between 5th & 6th. Having no knowledge of the program I really have no preference. I examined both table of contents on amazon and don't see dramatic differences (untrained eye, though).

I just ordered a used copy of 4th ed. and am trying to decide between 5th & 6th. Having no knowledge of the program I really have no preference. I examined both table of contents on amazon and don't see dramatic differences (untrained eye, though).

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions